Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy Touchsmart Sleekbook 4
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

I've purc hased  and installed 16GB RAM in the two available memory slots. Only 8GB is visible (upgraded from 4GB). The HP Envy Sleekbook Maintenance and Service Guide HP Envy TouchSmart c03599931.pdf says on page 2 that the system supports 16GB RAM. When I go into the BIOS setup, I cannot change the amount of memory, which shows only 8GB. How can I see all 16GB?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

BIOS options are not changeable, so those don't help. I did remove the bottom cover, reseat the DIMMs, and that seems to have fixed the issue. Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hey @pattydl, 

First and foremost, I want to welcome you to the HP Support Forums! Here at the forums, you have many community members that will help you toward a solution. 

You are correct the Maintenance and Service Guide does say that it supports up to 16GB of system RAM on your HP ENVY TouchSmart Sleekbook 4 in the following configurations:

• 2048-MB total system memory (2048×1)
  • 4096-MB total system memory (2048×2)
  • 4096-MB total system memory (4096×1)
  • 6144-MB total system memory (2048×1 + 4096×1)
  • 8192-MB total system memory (4096×2)
  • 8192-MB total system memory (8192×1)
  • 12288-MB total system memory (8192×1 + 4096×1)
  • 16384-MB total system memory (8192×2)

Here is a document for you to read over. It is called Upgrading Memory (RAM). It is for Notebooks and it has an abundant amount of information that may help you find out why you are unable to see the new RAM in the Notebook. 

Have you tried to do a BIOS reset?

Have you tried to a hard reset?

Have you tried to update your Notebook using the HP Support Assistant?

Have you tried to update your Notebook using Windows Update?

If this reply resolves your issue, please share the good news! Let others know this reply was helpful by clicking the Accept as Solution button at the bottom of this post. 

Please let me know the detailed answers/results of the troubleshooting provided and your Model Number (How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?).

To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below! Smiley Happy

Thanks for joining the HP Support Community!

Have a great day! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I researched the correct type of memory, bought 2 DIMMs of the same type and installed correctly (first DIMM works fine, obviously). I cold reset the laptop, typed Esc then F10. It would be helpful to know how to do a BIOS reset. As for the other questions, I work on servers and install lots of hardware (including memory, CPUs, etc. - they are way easier to work on BTW), access the BIOS UEFI, etc. I used to write product software for HP (for 19 years), so yeah, I tried all that and I would not ask if the answer was obvious. I hate hate hate the HP Support Assistant as it is slow as heck and not very useful. I did use it to identify the type of memory to install (and used HP PartSurfer as well). And of course, my Windows 8.1 has all the latest updates, but doubt that would impact my memory showing up correctly.

HP Recommended

Hey, 

Thank you for getting back to me. Please complete the following steps to reload the factory installed BIOS Setup settings:

1. In the BIOS Setup utility, select the Exit tab.

2. Select Load Setup Defaults.

3. Select Save Changes and Exit (pressing F5 and the Enter key will also load the Setup Defaults).

4. Press Esc and then Enter to exit Setup.

Here is the BIOS Setup Information and Menu Options document that those steps came from. You can find many other steps to try in this document also. 

Please let me know if this helps. 

Thanks. 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

BIOS options are not changeable, so those don't help. I did remove the bottom cover, reseat the DIMMs, and that seems to have fixed the issue. Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.