Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy Touchsmart m7-j010dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Problem started two weeks ago. Could not power on the laptop, tried many different power outlets. Purchased a universal Laptop charger/cord and it still didn't work. Removed battery, attached power cord and could boot computer on...put the battery back in but battery would not take a charge even though the battery indicator light was amber and the icon in the Win tool bar displayed: 36% available (plugged in, charging). Clicked the icon and displayed 36%, Calculating... Left laptop turned on overnight with battery in and 8 hours later it was still at 36%. With Laptop turned on, I can remove Laptop power cord and battery will continue operation, depleting the battery but when I reconnect the power cord it does not charge the battery (no green light or amber light). 

Bottom line, attached power cord with battery in and get no power (green or amber), period. Remove battery, attach power cord and I can boot up the computer.

Ran Systems Test - Battery Check: Primary - Replace (42) and received Failure ID:  QAMPPV-82387T-MFGJXF-C0D703. This failure on a brand new battery just recieved two days ago. Same errors with the original battery.  Attempted a power reset to no avail.

I could run laptop using the power cord only but doing this would defeat the purpose of owning a laptop. Running on battery will only deplete battery with no way to recharge it.

Help!!! Searched forum for answer to my problem and found none.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you for confirming my assessment. Laptop purchased in October 2013 and is not under warranty. Cost of new mother board is almost a third of cost of new laptop so it's not cost effective to replace mother board.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Forums @BRKman66

I understand your notebook works with the adapter connected, but the adapter will not charge your battery. Because of the battery test result, I feel the issue is the system board. Given the Battery Check test reports 2 batteries as failed, and the cable works to power on the computer, I suspect the issue is the charging circuit on the system board and suggest you call us. 

What you can do, is use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Case number and phone number appear.

Feel free to post again if there is anything else I can help you with.

If this resolves your inquiry, please mark your post as solved by clicking the Accept as Solution button below. 

Thanks. 

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thank you for confirming my assessment. Laptop purchased in October 2013 and is not under warranty. Cost of new mother board is almost a third of cost of new laptop so it's not cost effective to replace mother board.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.