Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)
Here is the problem: As shown by the title of this post, my HP Envy that I have had for a little over 2years will not turn on. This problem has happened to me twice before. The first was remedied by a quick visit to my local Microsoft Store where they were able to plug in my charger and get it to charge within 15min (I felt dumb because I messed around with it for a few hours and it didn't work). The second time my computer wouldn't turn on or charge, but if I connected my phone via the USB port, the phone would charge!! I left my phone plugged in over night and the next day my computer charged fine. Since Monday night (I am posting on Wednesday) my computer has been dead and will not charge. I have verified my charger is operational using my friend laptop and I have tried it in multiple outlets. I have not yet gone to the Microsoft store, but I am wondering if there is anything else I can try before I go. Another weird thing was I left my computer plugged in for about two hours yesterday and when I went to check on it, it felt warm. I don't know if there is any correlation, considering it was sitting under my bag, but I just thought that was weird. I am open to pretty much anything at this point, so any advice is welcomed.
5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi! @Prat2, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand that you are unable to charge your laptop.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Do you see a led charging light on your PC?

Kudos to you for trying out the steps before reaching out to us.

Please provide the product number of your PC for better assistance.

As you mentioned you have already tried with a different adapter and different wall outlets but the issue still persists.

Please try the steps recommended below.

Click on the Start Button
Type "Device Manager" in the start search box & open the Device Manager
Look for Batteries and expand it by click on the + symbol on the left
Right Click on "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" & uninstall
Please Shutdown the Notebook
Please remove the Battery and unplug the Power Adapter
Press and Hold the Power Button for full 1 Minute
Go ahead and put back the Battery and connect the Power Adapter
Look for "Plugged In Charging" message on the Battery icon.

If the issue still persists try updating BIOS on your PC and check if it helps.

Also, try updating the drivers on your PC by using HP support assistant and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know how to use HP support assistant.

Let me know how it goes!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
@MrRobot I would do the steps like you said, but my computer is dead and won't charge, so I can't. No I have not made any software updates. No there is a charging LED, but it won't turn on, so the computer isn't charging
HP Recommended

Hi @Prat2, I am the Jeet_singh. It looks like you were interacting with @A4Apollo, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

Thank you for replying, As I understand there is no charging LED and hence computer is not charging. This clearly indicates an issue with the AC Adapter. I would suggest here is to try with a different compatible adapter and see if it helps. 

Depending on the results, I would suggest you contact our HP phone support for further assistance. Please fill in the product details to get the tech support number.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted for any other assistance,

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
@Jeet_Singh
There is no problem with he AC adaptor because I took a Fluke (Voltage Reader) to it and it read near 20VDC, so the adaptor us putting out its recommended voltage
HP Recommended

Hi @Prat2,

Thanks for the update,

As I understand you have tried to use a voltage reader and it seems the adapter is functioning, this still suggests being a hardware issue either with the port or the battery. I would still suggest you contact our HP phone support for further assistance. 

Link to contact HP: Click here

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.