Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP G62 B10EH
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Dear Madam or Sir,

I would like to replace my original HDD (320GB) to another one with larger capacity.

May I install a new SATA3 (or SATA2 I think it does not matter) HDD with 2TB capacity or a SSHD with 1TB capacity? Is there exist a maximum limit of capacity? May I move all my data include operating system and recovery partition from the old one to the new one? I tried to find some information in these topics but I could not.

Thanks in advance.

BH 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

1. In theory no limit but it is safe to use 1TB and SSHD is faster than normal HDD due to it has more cache.

The best way to move Windows, programs and data to new HDD is to clone from the old HDD to new HDD using cloning software. There are many around and I tested the following free software many times, it worked 100%:

http://www.aomeitech.com/aomei-backupper.html

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

1. In theory no limit but it is safe to use 1TB and SSHD is faster than normal HDD due to it has more cache.

The best way to move Windows, programs and data to new HDD is to clone from the old HDD to new HDD using cloning software. There are many around and I tested the following free software many times, it worked 100%:

http://www.aomeitech.com/aomei-backupper.html

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your flash feedback.

Why do you say that "no limit but it is safe to use 1TB"? Could you explain it please?

HP Recommended

Hi,

In terms of SATA, it should support a huge HDD (that what I cal theory) but in terms of BIOS and Windows file system we my get problem with HDD's bigger (capacity) specially your machine is a bit old.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

Thanks, it is your turn.

Best regards.

BH

HP Recommended

Hi,

Ok my turn. It is my pleasure to know there is another BH

Regards.

BH

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.