Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP G70-111EA
Microsoft Windows Vista

Hi all, I have an old HP G70-111EA laptop (Product/Part Number: FX432EA#ABU) with a 360C 09.67 circuit board (to be honest, I've not been able to learn what that represents in terms of a system or motherboard), and a Core 2 Duo T5800 processor,

I would like to try and upgrade the cpu and or anything else I can, in order to try and upgrade to either Windows 7, or 8 if possible...or even to try a Linux based OS like Ubuntu (as the limitations of Windows 7 and 8 will be following the ‘end of support for the OS’…as in Vista, and the disappointing loss of my favourite Win XP!).  And the problem is, I can't find anywhere that identifies the exact specifications for the motherboard, cpu socket set, FSB speed limitations of the hardware, and possible cpu upgrade options, etc, etc that are possible…or at least sensible for the existing hardware. 

I have downloaded the maintenance & Service Guide for the model, which shows an 'Intel Core 2 Duo processor (6-MB L2 cache, 1066-MHz FSB)' can support a 'T9400 2.53-GHz', but was really hoping to exceed this as it's not much better than the current T5800 2.0-GHz (2-MB L2 cache, 800-MHz FSB). 

The only memory options seem to be PC2-5300, 667-MHz, DDR2 or PC2-6400, 667-MHz, DDR2 - would the limitations of the motherboard and/or memory modules, or any other hardware limitations also prevent changing the memory and change from 32 bit to 64 bit in an attempt to increase the current limitations of 3GB-4GB memory…or is this a fixed limitation built into the system.

Basically, I'm looking for any way I can increase the spec/performance, any help or advice on this would be appreciated,

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The Manual lists the T9400 as the top processor. It would not surprise me if a T9600 or a T9800 would work but I cannot guaranteee it and those processors are still pretty pricey although obviously even faster. I had a laptop with the T9800 a few years back and it was quite fast. I also just refurbished two older laptops with T9400 and with an SSD in them they plow through Windows 10 with no problems. 

The max memory is 4 gigs and you can use it all if you run a 64 bit OS which I recommend. Even if you run 32 bit Windows, having the two identical modules will alow if to run in dual channel which the sytem can take advantage of even on a 32 bit OS and memory transfer is about 10% faster, and every little bit helps. 

Yes you can use DDR2-800 aka PC2-6400. The memory clock will still be 333 mhz (doubled to 667) and not 400 mhz (doubled to 800). DDR2-800 is much more widely available. 

Please post back and let us know how your project went. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

You have actually already figured out the answers to your questions. It is an older laptop on an older platform that is not capable of being brought into the present level of hardware options. You can only use DDR2 memory and you are capped at 4 gigs by the hardware and to some extent by economics. Even if it could run 8 gigs of DDR2, you would not want to buy it as 8 gigs of that stuff is like $150. You say a T9400 is like a T5800 but that is not the case. The T9xxx series was the Cadillac of the Core 2 Duo line and still can keep up with i3 processors being sold today. The 6 megs of L2 cache makes that processor a very strong performer. You can definitely run a 64 bit operating system on a Core 2 Duo and 4 gigs of RAM. If you put a solid state drive in it, you have a very competent performer for business type applications. The problem is that current laptops are so cheap it makes little sense to pay to add in a solid state drive, a processor and more memory on an aging and even obsolete machine. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply Huffer, and all of what you say makes sense, but I would still like to try and make use of the laptop while still usable.  You say the T9400 is a reasonably strong performer, so I’ll upgrade to it, but before I do, I just want to check that I am correct in assuming that the T9400 is indeed the maximum level processor I can use for the my G70.

On the RAM, I only have 3GB of DDR2-PC2-5300 installed as I was led to believe the G70-111EA only supports 3GB (the ‘Maintenance & Service Guide’ states 4GB, but everywhere else I search states 3GB), and as I am currently running on a 32bit OS, even if I was to increase to 4GB, the 32bit OS could only utilise between 3GB to 3.5GB of the memory…but this would still be a worthwhile upgrade for me if the system genuinely supported the 4GB. Which brings me to another question, if I upgrade to the T9400, does it make any difference whether the RAM I install is DDR2-PC2-5300 or DDR2-PC2-6400 . And am I correct in thinking FSBs default to the lowest FSB in the hardware ‘chain’ of FSBs so to speak.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply

HP Recommended

The Manual lists the T9400 as the top processor. It would not surprise me if a T9600 or a T9800 would work but I cannot guaranteee it and those processors are still pretty pricey although obviously even faster. I had a laptop with the T9800 a few years back and it was quite fast. I also just refurbished two older laptops with T9400 and with an SSD in them they plow through Windows 10 with no problems. 

The max memory is 4 gigs and you can use it all if you run a 64 bit OS which I recommend. Even if you run 32 bit Windows, having the two identical modules will alow if to run in dual channel which the sytem can take advantage of even on a 32 bit OS and memory transfer is about 10% faster, and every little bit helps. 

Yes you can use DDR2-800 aka PC2-6400. The memory clock will still be 333 mhz (doubled to 667) and not 400 mhz (doubled to 800). DDR2-800 is much more widely available. 

Please post back and let us know how your project went. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thanks again for your advice and help Huffer, I have ordered a T9400, and will install it as soon as it arrives (but I expect it will take between 2 to 3 weeks to arrive - being shipped from China).

I am also going to install  4GB of the DDR2-800 as I'm sure this will compliment the T9400.

I am going to update this post as solved 'Accept Solution, as in reality it has been, or will have been as soon as I have updated the laptop with the T9400 and RAM...but I will still post back and let you know how the updating has gone as soon as it has been completed and I'm enjoying a revitalised laptop...I'm not expecting blistering speed differences, just giving it a helping hand in the processing department, and am sure in this, there will be a significant benefit.  After all seens fine, and is running well, I will then install a 64 bit OS to make the most use of the RAM, and will post an update of this too.  And at some point in the future I may even update to a T9800 (when the price has dropped significantly)...knowing if it doesn't work, I can always revert back to the T9400.

Apart from that, just wanted to say a big thanks to you for taking the time to give your help and advice on the upgrading of my laptop.

Cheers

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.