Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

If that happens it has nothing to do with WIFI, it has its own battery, at least in mine. Some hardware in the computer might be bad. I think you need to contact . HP. I have the same problem so I just leave it plugged in when I shut it down, because the warrantee has expired.

Call HP. I called them and got a new battery for a warrantee-less computer. But that waqs my 2nd HP and I told them I would not touch their stuff again. I was going to buy a differend brand with touch screen technology. But since they send me a new battery I am still with them.

HP Recommended

@swabyw wrote:

If that happens it has nothing to do with WIFI, it has its own battery, at least in mine. Some hardware in the computer might be bad. I think you need to contact . HP. I have the same problem so I just leave it plugged in when I shut it down, because the warrantee has expired.

Call HP. I called them and got a new battery for a warrantee-less computer. But that waqs my 2nd HP and I told them I would not touch their stuff again. I was going to buy a differend brand with touch screen technology. But since they send me a new battery I am still with them.

Thank you for taking the time to reply and give a good explanation. Pity HP do not do the same.

I'm going to take the former of your two options and NEVER TOUCH HP STUFF AGAIN !

HP Recommended

@swabyw wrote:

Yes I can bow confirm you are correct and it has nothing to do with whether or not the wireless is turned on or off or in "airplane mode" .

If the HP Pavillion is turned off the battery still goes flat, regardless.

A BIG DESIGN FAULT THAT AS YET NOONE FROM HP ARE ANSWERING !

What is the point of HP running a forum when they themselves do not participate?

GOOD BYE HP !

HP Recommended

sorry for my english

Problems can arise from many causes.
WiFi, Bluetooth, power management, wake on lan vs..3-5 years, occasionally having laptop users.
SOLUTION: Turn off the laptop. (Shutdown) .. then remove the battery. press and hold the power button for 3-5 seconds. then replace the battery. try this. You have to turn off  every laptop ..

HP Recommended

Basically it is a parasitic draw.  There is power being drawn even when power is off.  Therefore there is a component on the motherboard or maybe something that is plugged in the USB or card reader that is drawing power, if that helps HP engineers any for future cases. 

So it's basically electrical, there is a defective circuit in these motherboards.  So we are pretty much stuck unless they refurbished these motherboards.

HP Recommended

my laptop is draines while it is shutdown,i don`t the exact reasons for that,so please tell me what are the reasons and how to rectify it

HP Recommended

Hi

Check if any Wake-Up by function is on.

Todo so go to BIOS and check for entries like "Wake-Up on LAN" or WLAN or USB etc.

Turn all these options off.

Maybe these options were turned off and got activated by updating the BIOS

HP Recommended

To HP Customer Service:

Pavilion DV6 has a design problem. The battery was not totally shut down when it was off. It powers certain things for certain activities that are needed by crazy imagination. I have only two choices: taking battery out of system or recharging it before use.

I wonder if there is a way to install a hard switcher to turn off the system completely. HP needs to address this issue, because I could not buy such a machine again. HP needs to let customers  know its future products do not drain battery while they  are not in use. My HP computer becomes useless when the battery loses its capacity while not in use. HP should consider using a design concept that the machine will not use any battery while it is not in use. This  is absolutely important to most users.

HP Recommended

SAME PROBLEM with my purchased new Pavilion dv9700 (dv9720us) Entertainment PC originally Vista now Windows 7.

Thinking original battery pack was drain problem, I purchased two new identical extended life Li-ion 14.4V 7200mAh HPDV9000-4A720B battery packs. Both work great but both still drain down from 100% to 3% when stored installed in the shut down unplugged laptop usually stored in my closet as a backup PC. While the pack that's stored installed drains to 3%, the other UNinstalled pack drains from 100% to only 96%.

I now sucessfully store both battery packs UNinstalled after depleting in the laptop to 40% charge (BatteryUniversity.com (Lithium page)  recommendation) before storage.  I also would like to see a easy fix for this power-off drain problem but, now it's only a minor inconvienience for me (5 seconds to pop the battery in). Everything else in this quality engineered laptop still works perfectly (including fans) with zero repairs throughout its very long life after warrenty expiration.

HP Recommended

@InventorGrissom

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand the laptop drains battery while it's shutdown,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you know that certain about of draining is normal?

However, if it's more than usual/normal, did you attempt to reinstall the battery drivers?

If you haven't, You will need to Understand Lithium-Ion and Smart Battery Technology: Click here for details 

Resetting the ACPI battery driver may take care of this. There will be a hard reset mixed in as well, so the two methods combined typically help a lot with battery issues. 

  

1. Go to Start, search for Device Manager, and open this result. 

2. Expand batteries. 

3. Right-click on the ACPI option (usually the 2nd option) and select delete or uninstall. Follow the prompts. 

4. Shut down the computer.  

5. Disconnect the charger. 

6. Remove the battery. 

7. Hold down the power button for 1 minute. 

8. Insert the battery only. 

9. Attempt to turn the battery on. 

  

If this had an impact, it should behave differently. 

If not, Press the power button and then tap the F2 key to invoke the startup menu. 

  

Choose and click on the F10 key to invoke the BIOS. 

 Use the System Configuration tab. Disable USB Charging and press the F10 key to save the changes and boot into Windows. 

Let me know how that pans out

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask any other queries as  well,

Considering, this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

{If this resolved your concern, Click on "Accept as Solution" & the Purple Thumbs up}.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.