Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 4 (79 Views)

HP Laptop Problems

Product Name: P4A28EA#ABU
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello! Over the past 6 months, my laptop which I had purchased has started to decline.

Problems I have encountered so far :

The fan and hard drive have both become louder than I would be comfortable with.

I get a loud beeping noise every 15 minutes or so from the laptop (which gets VERY agitating)

The trackpad sometimes ceases to function correctly and in my opinion is of rather poor quality

The laptops build quality is below average. The plastic behind the screen is flimsy and bends with little pressure.

When I had made the purchase, it had been advertised with "AMD Gaming Evolved" and all that pizazz giving an impression it can do some gaming, but nope. Not only could it not run Counter Strike smoothly, but it even struggles with Minecraft!

Thats when I did a bit of research and found that it was powered with an APU, rather than having a dedicated graphics card.

I wish I had contacted HP sooner, as my warranty has run out, but I will not be satisfied until something is done about it. I paid 600 euros, I got a plastic laptop with the same amount of power as my 8 year old desktop PC.

Teacher
Message 2 of 4 (42 Views)

Re: HP Laptop Problems

Well that's an unpleasant situation, but you really should have researched what you were buying better, or asked someone to check it for you before buying.

Honor Student
Message 3 of 4 (35 Views)

I checked the specifications of the laptop online and only got "R5 Graphics", not clearly stating it was powered by an APU, and there was no display version of the product at where I had bought it.

Is there nothing I can do about it now and I just lost 600 euro?

Teacher
Message 4 of 4 (31 Views)

[ Edited ]

I found that detailed specs can usually be locatedin the Service and Maintenance manual, there is a complete list of parts, all the motherboard versions and compatibile cpus.

Edit: Strike that, the manual lists all available components, but the specs on hp's website should specifically state if the model you want to buy has a discrete graphics card.

If that's too much of a bother for you, you could ask the seller to give you more detailed information, but I'm afraid after six months you dont have that many options, you can only get it serviced in warranty if there's actually something malfunctioning.

If I were you I'd sell it for any price you can get, and buy something decent, and believe me there are a lot of good models out there.

Myself, a few years back I bought a Probook 450 G1 with a dedicated AMD Radeon 8750M, for personal use, at a good price too, but only after some thorough research. And it paid off because it can do pretty much anything I ask of it, i.e. browsing, office, multimedia, but also decent medium settings gaming at 1366x768 (recent titles).

So yeah, check reference sites like notebookcheck and others or get advice from a friend who knows a bit about laptops or even here on the forum.

Cheers

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation