Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I updated my BIOS version before (around a month ago) but I just discovered that the HP Notebook System Bios Update (Intel Processor) was skipped. I actually cancelled this update and when I tried to do it again it didn't allow me anymore. I contacted the HP Chat Support at that time and they said my laptop was fine. I got a blue screen of death once and that was it. That was the only issue I had with my laptop. After that I updated to the latest version of the w10 Anniversary Update a week ago. I do not have any problems with it, my laptop is running smoothly. I haven't encountered any problems. I just reccently purchased this 2 months ago. 

Well recently, I got an update in the HP Support Assistant regarding an update for the Intel Serial 10 Driver. I contacted the HP Chat Support and they said my laptop didn't need the driver. That it was a general update and not targeted to any specific PC. Long story short he said I didn't need it, I don't need to update and that my laptop was fine. The Windows 10 Anniversary update... Well updates everything the tech said.

I was just wondering:

1. Is the HP Notebook System BIOS Update (Intel Processor) a CRITICAL update that I really  need to find a link or something to update it?

2. Is it harmful that I didn't update it?

3. Do I really need to update it?

4. Is it the reason that the HP Support Assistant notified me about the Intel Serial 10 Driver?

My Driver Version is: 20.19.15.4377

I hope I provided all the information that could help you help me fix my problem.

Answering all my answers and also explaining is GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@PaulineTan

Thanks for replying to my post,

And yes you have covered everything, I hope! 😉

The windows 10-anniversary update would install all relevant driver updates as well, therefore resolving the BSOD issue you had referred to previously!

1) Although the update is not important, you may go ahead and install it as at this point (it's optional).

2) yes you may, basically, there's nothing to worry about.

3) No, it's not critical.

4) No, it will not harm your computer.

Most bios updates contain a fix for specific issues, released by the motherboard (bios) manufacturer and at this point since you don't have any issues on the computer, you don't have to install it.

Let me know, if you need anything else!

Regards.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Forums!
I hope you're well @PaulineTan

As I understand you need details about the recent updates that were deemed irrelevant by the HP chat support technicians, I will make an honest attempt to satisfy your curiosity, let's begin!

1. If the update was critical, it would automatically install as a part of your windows updates, if you chose not to update on the HP Support Assistance.
  2. It's definitely not harmful unless you interrupt the update as that could cause the BSOD you had mentioned earlier.
  3. most updates are not product specific like the chat support tech mentioned, so you don't have to worry about it.
  4. The Intel Serial 10 driver is a package that contains the driver that enables the Intel Serial Input/Output models to support Connected Standby on wired & wireless network ( so, basically it's a fix applicable for people having issues with their internet, if you don't have any internet troubles, you may ignore it). 

I believe I have covered all your queries although, if I missed any - let me know and if I managed to cover all your queries, click the thumbs up at the bottom of this comment to say "thanks".

And I hope you have a good day ahead,

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello! Thank you for the fast response.

so here's the rundown. Not to bore you or anything just maybe you this can help:

I saw in the HP Support Assistant that I have numerous things to update so I clicked it all & updated. When the BIOS finished installing the computer restarted and I continued updating the others (which included the HP Notebook System BIOS Update Intel Processors) but in the middle of the update, I stopped it. And it said it's not applicable anymore. I clicked to update again & the other 3 (there was 4 of them including the HP Notebook System BIOS Update Intel Processors) updated succesfully. I didn't mess with it anymore since the tech support said that I was fine, so I believed them. 

And now I checked in the HPSA and it says that the process was "SKIPPED" since I didn't fully install it because I got scared that maybe it would harm my laptop. Then when I went back to it to download it again through the HPSA it can't be clicked.

My BIOS version now is: Insyde F.16

I checked on this link hp support and there's one here that says BIOS and HP Notebook System BIOS Update (Intel Processors) version: F.16 Rev.A that needs to be downloaded. I believe this is the one I skipped on the HPSA.

I received the BSOD after a few days and I contacted support again and they installed an app called 

WhoCrashed app to check why it showed a blue screen of death and it said:

Error: DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE

Bug check description: This bug indicates that the driver is an inconsistent or invalid power state. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

After I received the blue screen of death, I accidently updated to the windows 10 Anniversary Update.

So I don't know if that helped remove the issue that caused the blue screen of death.

At the end of our chat he said that all was fine. So I believed him.

Thank you for the info about the Intel Serial 10 Driver. I was having internet problems but I don't think it has to do with my laptop but just my connection in my area. I don't really know how to identify.

I hope I covered everything that could help you understand my situation more.

1. So do I need to update (manualy) the HP Notebook System BIOS Update (Intel Processors) through the hp support now that you have read what happened?

2. Should I just leave it alone? 

3. Is it crititcally needed since I'm now on Windows 10 Anniversary Update?

4. Will it harm my laptop if I WILL download it? Will it harm it if I wouldn't?

Please help me.

Thank you for taking time to read and answering my questions. More power to you! Cheers.

HP Recommended

@PaulineTan

Thanks for replying to my post,

And yes you have covered everything, I hope! 😉

The windows 10-anniversary update would install all relevant driver updates as well, therefore resolving the BSOD issue you had referred to previously!

1) Although the update is not important, you may go ahead and install it as at this point (it's optional).

2) yes you may, basically, there's nothing to worry about.

3) No, it's not critical.

4) No, it will not harm your computer.

Most bios updates contain a fix for specific issues, released by the motherboard (bios) manufacturer and at this point since you don't have any issues on the computer, you don't have to install it.

Let me know, if you need anything else!

Regards.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.