Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I ve just purchased a HP Pavilion 15-n240tx and got Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64-bit version installed. However, the bluetooth adapter is not working (screenshot below). I purchased this model believing that every piece of hardware listed in the following web page is working with the specified operating system.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04074947

What can I do to get this fixed?

Thanks in advanced!

Regards,

Shaakunthala

Screenshot from 2014-09-14 06:28:49.png

--
Shaakunthala
14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi,

These laptops have a combo wifi/bluetooth wireless cards. Try RFKILL to make sure that the bluetooth is not software disabled.

http://linux.die.net/man/1/rfkill

Asus ROG STRIX G16 Manjaro Xfce
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
HP Recommended

Hi,

$ rfkill list gives me only the following output:

0: phy0: Wireless LAN

Soft blocked: no

Hard blocked: no

$ rfkill unblock bluetooth does not seem to do anything.

Wireless LAN works so far, but the indicator light is green.

Is there any other option that I can try?

Regards,

Shaakunthala

--
Shaakunthala
HP Recommended

@Shaakunthala wrote:

Hi,

$ rfkill list gives me only the following output:

0: phy0: Wireless LAN

Soft blocked: no

Hard blocked: no

$ rfkill unblock bluetooth does not seem to do anything.

Wireless LAN works so far, but the indicator light is green.

Is there any other option that I can try?

Regards,

Shaakunthala

Could you give us the output of "lspci", please? I'm a linux user and make a wireless card working takes a real science. I recommend Intel wireless cards for linux because Intel provide a great support for them. It's sometimes better to invest a couple of pounds from your pocket to get out of troubles.

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
HP Recommended

What was the original version of Ubuntu on the laptop? There have been some posts that wireless or bluetooth stopped working after users installed a newer version of Ubuntu on a Ubuntu laptop.

HP Recommended

I'm sorry I do not know that. The sales guys had installed an OEM version of Windows on it. What I did was erasing the entire disk and installing the latest version of Ubuntu.

--
Shaakunthala
HP Recommended

@Shaakunthala wrote:

I'm sorry I do not know that. The sales guys had installed an OEM version of Windows on it. What I did was erasing the entire disk and installing the latest version of Ubuntu.

The specs say Ubuntu is the default OS for this laptop model. It means that Ubuntu should work out of the box but newer versions might not work out of the box and some adjustments might be necessary. I would suggest linux Mint because it's Ubuntu based and in my opinion even with a better hardware support.

HP Recommended

Tried with Linux Mint too. No luck. 😞

--
Shaakunthala
HP Recommended

@Shaakunthala wrote:

Tried with Linux Mint too. No luck. 😞

No luck with what? Wifi? What wifi card is it??

HP Recommended

# dmidecode gives the following output:

Handle 0x0024, DMI type 41, 11 bytes
Onboard Device
        Reference Designation: Ralink WLAN Ralink RT3290LE Roma 802.11bgn 1x1Wi-Fi + BT4.0 combo HMC
        Type: Other
        Type Instance: 1
        Bus Address: 0000:08:00.0

And the output of # lspci -nnk :

08:00.1 Bluetooth [0d11]: Ralink corp. RT3290 Bluetooth [1814:3298]
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Ralink RT3290LE 802.11bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0 Combo Adapter [103c:18ec]

--
Shaakunthala
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.