Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hey I've treid searching everywhere but I've not found anything on how to improve the graphics card for this computer, can someone tell me or help me find what cards this computer supports? The one that it currently has is fairly bad so I'd be happy to hear most if not all suggestions. (first post btw).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Okay I've installed the Radeon 7770 on my computer and it works perefctly fine, I can get high/ultra graphics on most current games with reasonable frame rates (tested BF hardline, Titanfall, DayZ, Shogun, Skyrim) and most certainly suits my needs. I needed a new 500W power supply and overrall cost about £130 (don't know what that'd be in USD since the tax difference). Thanks for all the help.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

The card that is in it is a Radeon HD 8470 low profile but with a full sized ATX bracket. You have a 300 watt power supply so that is going to limit you badly. This is a Radeon HD 7750 that is also low profile and comes with a full sized bracket. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129271&cm_re=low_profile_video_card-_-14-12...

It is maybe 20% faster than what you have. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

That seems okay but can you tell me what other options I have? Also that seems to be out of stock on the site that you sent. If I need a new power supply then just tell me what I need to get (I'm rather new at all of this as you can probably tell)

HP Recommended

Yes you can upgrade the power supply. You need to get something with at least 500 watts preferably 750 that has a pci-e (6 pin) power lead. And then you can get just about any graphics card that is single slot. The dual slot kind will just be too big for the case and will block airflow. If you want specific recommendations for the Power supply and video card and the service manual for the computer post back. You are looking at investing probably $80-100 in the power supply and up to $250 for the video card and maybe even more. 

HP Recommended

Yeah if you could post recommendations, that'd be great. I'm not looking for anything to get me into ultra or anything, just a good mid-range card that can get me running games like DayZ at 30FPS on medium settings

HP Recommended

Video card:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FONIODI/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creati...

This is a bit cheaper than I said but it is getting hard to find single slot video cards these days. They are all dual slot monstrosities.

Power supply:

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Series-Modular-Bronze-CX430M/dp/B00ALYORA4/ref=pd_sim_pc_23?ie=UTF8&re...

There is a little video here about adding RAM but you can see the video card in it and how to get to it and remove the old one and replace it. Don't forget the new one is likely going to need a power lead running to it or the computer will not boot. 

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph03886

Good luck.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

I've done some rooting around and found this seemingly beautiful (and cheap) card, what do you think? Would I have to get a new power source? Also I cant seem to find this anywhere to buy in the UK, do you know of any retailers that could get me free shipping because I don't think Amazon have any available

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-8470-vs-Radeon-HD-4850

HP Recommended

It's cheap because it is old. That is the "4" series with DDR3 memory 512 megs. In the day it was a very good card and will perform as you wish. It does need a 6 pin power supply lead so you need a new power supply. It also awfully long to fit in the space you have to hold it. 

HP Recommended

So what does this mean for me then? Can I use it? And if so, what power supply do I need to support it? Thanks for the fast replies by the way, you've been incredbily helpful thus far

HP Recommended

I don't know if you can use it. I would measure the space available between the pci bracket retainer where you screw in the screw holding the video card in place and the opposite wall of the inside of the case and see if that is long enough to hold the card based on the dimensions in the ad you linked. You want to have at least a couple centimeters clearance. Often larger video cards cannot be wedged into mid-sized tower computer cases. You have to have busted up your knuckles a few times building computers to know where things can go wrong and this is one of them; an overly ambitious video card upgrade in a middle of the road rig. 

If that card will fit it is a lot of performance for the money and the power supply I linked above will have the connector you need to make it work. 

Good luck. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.