Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Please help me. I have a HP Pavilion DV4 and I am having problems turning the laptop on.  I have the laptop directly plugged into the power supply and when I turn the power button on the volume up and down keys light up for a brief moment, but then they turn off and the screen remains black.  The only other lights that I see constantly blinking when I attempt to turn it on is the lightening bolt symbol on the front left located between two other symbols. I do not know if maybe I should try a new battery or if the adapter is bad. Has anyone else had similar issues and if so did you find a solution.

Thank You,

Kim 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello, @kdox 

Welcome to the HP Forums.

I see that you can't turn on your notebook. I will try to assist you with this.

Based on your description of the issue, I don't believe it to be the battery, but it very well may be the AC adapter.

Even if the battery is dead or removed from the notebook, the adapter should be powering it. As it's not, this is where you should start.

I would start by testing the AC adapter in other outlets, to ensure the issue isn't the one it's connected to. After that (if you can), test with another AC adapter. Anyone that fits will work for testing (it should be as close as possible to the same output), as this is testing you won't continue to use this adapter. The result for this would provide a clear direction.

If power, current adapter needs replacing (replacing with one for your notebook, do not use one not meant for the notebook)
If no power, more than likely an internal hardware issue. This could be with the AC jack, or the system board.

I will also provide you this document as it may have other helpful suggestions: Using and Testing the AC Power Adapter.

Let me know how you make out.
Thank you for posting on the HP Forums.

I worked on behalf of HP.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.