Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

This started almost 2 months ago. I went to start my laptop up and it wouldn't boot/POST. Nothing on the screen, after 15 seconds the Num Lock and Caps Lock lights would flash simultaneously once every couple seconds. According to HP, this indicates a bad Processor. I took it to a local repair shop I used in the past and they said they would have to check it out first to confirm. When they finally got it diagnosed, they said it wasn't the processor, it was the graphics chip attachment to the motherboard. The said it developes a bad connection at the solder points and causes this issue. I asked if it was heat related because this laptop can get hot when I really do allot on it. They said they weren't sure, but they resoldered it and it was working again. Took it home a few weeks ago and it was working great... until last night. Same thing, no POST, blinking lights indicating bad processor. They said it is common on HP's, mostly with the NVIDIA Graphics chip, but mine has an ATI Graphics Chip. Are they wrong with the original diagnosis??? With the Video chip having an issue of attachment with the motherboard mean it should have gotten a new motherboard??? The repair shop does guarentee their repairs but I'd hate to have them try to fix it agin and the same thing happen 2 weeks later.

65 REPLIES 65
HP Recommended

Hi,

Check the link below:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05336130 (Link Updated 04/26/2017)

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon below. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
HP Recommended

The LED light blinking once usually indicates CPU failure, but in your case ideally the repair technicians should have replaced the motherboard which is only way to fix the problem. 

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem with my sons computer.

A few years ago, I called HP when my daughters pavilion notebook did the smae thing.

They sent a box for me to ship it UPS on their dime, repaired it, and sent it back at no cost to me.

Does anyone know if they still do that?

If so, where do I call?

HP Recommended

@firechiefkev

Hi,

Check the link below:

Preparing Notebook for Mail-In Service at an HP Certified Service Center

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon below. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
HP Recommended

Since there is no status light on that model, try this software

http://www.whoismadhur.com/2010/07/08/get-status-of-num-lock-caps-lock-keys-on-system-tray-with-tray...

I tried it and it works great.  You have to avoid the maze of Freeware they try to download on your computer.  Click the link in the text, NOT THE DOWNLOAD Manager.

HP Recommended
Same problem but after hundreds of turning it on and off it works fr a couple hours
HP Recommended

Hey Crytee,

Did your notebook have a 1-blink pattern or more than 1?

HP Recommended

Hi, mine is also a DV7. I had the same problem today and just an hour ago I accidentally managed to boot the computer up, by opening the optical drive and reinserting it. The computer is currently working without problem, but I'm keeping the status quo and looking for clues for the previous boot failure (which is why I am here).

HP Recommended

Hey vns_firefly,

I'm sorry you ran into that issue but that is certainly an interesting fix! Did you happen to do anything else? Like take the battery out or letting the computer cool off for a while or anything else? Update with any news 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.