Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

same problem at my leptop so what i will do ?

thanx dude..

HP Recommended

Hello Mikul.

Have you tried cleaning the system's cooling vents as suggested in this document?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

Sorry for the very late reply but I am new to forums and I also have some experience fixing broken things. I have a HP pavilion dv4 and have been experiencing the same problem with overheating. NB my system freezes when i do anything such as gaming which requires graphic intensity. However the laptop will not freeze during cold nights at all. Even without looking at the numerous amount of post I came to the conclusion that the design IS FLAWED.

Where exactly is the air coming from to cool the motherboard?

There are only two vents on the bottom of the laptop, both are very small and cover with material to prevent dust intake.

I recommend if you are fed up enough to kill this system permanently to cut a hole out on the case under the fan. I am 100% sure you will see a very big improvement in heat management. PS; DONT MAKE THE HOLE TOO BIG SO THAT YOU CANT SEAT THE FAN TO THE CASE.

And also depending on the fan, you might have to cut the fanbase so that the air can easily flow in.

HP Recommended

I have the same issue with my DV4.  There is a design flaw in the unit itself.  I cleaned mine out last night, and it really needed it.  It's been running for 5 years without a cleaning.  It runs much better, and the fan doesn't sound like a jet engine anymore, however, it still gets hot.  I've studied this over the past year.  It gets hot by the CPU (of course), and under the HDD.  I'm surprised out how hot the HDD area gets.  The system has openings under the HDD for cooling, but as we all know hot air rises, so vents under the HDD I feel is a poor design, and is part of the issue.  I'd say maybe they thought the hot air rising would pull fresh cool air in as it rises, but this appears to not work if that was the intent.  The issue I noticed (five years ago) with the CPU cooling, is the intake is on the bottom, and flat.  The area the fan has to pull in fresh cool air (even on flat surfaces) is not enough.  I've tested this idea, though not very scientifically.  If you place the unit in your lap, the natural spread of the legs, and position of the unit on the lap, blocks the CPU fan intake.  Poor design.  But they do say not to use the unit on your lap.   

I ran some programs that normally cause the system to run hot, and the fan to kick in.  It gets a little loud, as the fan tries to pull air in.  This is due to the low clearance.  I put some 1/16” thick round disk under the foot located by the fan, and as I increased the height, the fan noise lightened up, even though the fan was running same speed (until it cooled down).  Leaving it this way, the computer did in fact run cooler.  The fan did not run as much, or as fast.  I have the extended length battery, and I noticed it help, as it raises the system.  It’s too heavy with the battery on to carry around though.  In short the issue from my personal experience, is related to the cooling intake design clearance.  Hence why the new units pull air in from the side.  I just keep mine raised, and it runs fine.  I find 1/8”-1/4” works best without causing the system to be hard to work on (from an angle stand point).  Hope this helps some people. 

P.S there is also a setting in the bios that defaults the fan to run at full speed all the time.  Make sure this setting is turned off.         

HP Recommended

Thanks for telling your story and solution in preventing the HP Pavillion dv4 from overheating.

I purchased my HP dv4-1125nr from BestBuy (622 Broadway, New York City) in 2010 or 2011.

About a year after I purchased the HP, I noticed the fan speed increased when I'm on the laptop

over an hour. The left side of the keyboard is warmer then the right side. Once I started playing

videos from YouTube, the HP gets hot. I noticed it overheating faster when I'm using Photoshop

and having more than 2 windows open. I purchased a cooler and it slowed down the overheating,

but it still overheats. Now, I must not have more than one program open if I don't want the HP to

overheat. I'll vacuum first and give the HP more clearance underneath.

Thanks

jahmenj

PS: My fan doesn't run on high speed all the time; only when it's overheating...

Thanks

HP Recommended

Regents Professor,

Thanks! The video was very helpful...

HP Recommended
Anybody got any answers?
HP Recommended
Anybody got any answers?
HP Recommended

I have also had the same overheating problems, as everyone has mentioned, for about the last 2 years now. I have resulted in placing my HP on frozen foods to keep it cool just to get through projects here and there ( to be honest, it works great). I would love another solution, aside from cleaning out the dust, which I have already tried. Thanks to anyone that can help!

HP Recommended

OK guys Let's admit it, it"s a BAD design, poor air flow and there is not much you can do, BUT,  if you look at the cover over the RAM chips, it has a filter on it, over time it gets clogged, clean it or do like I did and simply remove the screen, also if your brave, drill some 1/4" holes over the area where the fan is mounted, be careful not to damage the MB.

Or take the laptop apart to be safe and drill vent holes all over the place....

HP should have tested it better,  I've seen this problem on HP's a lot of times, same on you HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.