Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Sorry for my bad english. I have a little question.

I have a dv6922et laptop(dv6700) with core2 duo t8100 and 2 gb of ram.  Recently,I bought a new hard disk with aprox 320 GB capacity... so I am curious. I want to upgrade my RAM,and the real question is... 

What is the maximum RAM for my model ? 4 GB or 8 GB ?   I see an older post which says the laptop supports 8 gb,but on other sites and another forums it says the maximum RAM allowed is only 4 gb?

For my model,on a windows 8 64 bit,8 gb ddr2 667 mhz will work fine ?  I really want to know,because I am looking to upgrade to 8 gb

HP Recommended

Hi:

8 GB (2 x 4 GB) of PC2-5300 or PC2-6400 memory will work just fine.

The PC2-6400 memory will run at 667Mhz though, not 800 MHz.

While the Intel 965 desktop chipset will run 800 MHz memory at 800 MHz, the mobile 965 chipset only runs the memory at 667 MHz.

See this thread for more info.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-e-g-Windows-8/The-dv6700z-And-dv9700z-WILL-Support-Ov...

The problem today is...unless you already have the 8 GB of PC2 memory laying around, buying it now will cost you a fortune.

You can probably buy a better used notebook on eBay than the one you have now for the same price as 2 new PC2 4 GB memory chips.

HP Recommended
Thank you so much for your fast reply. I know that buying a new piece of memory chip is very expensive,today. But I have it already.(2x4 gb),but never risked for test it. And in your last line,you have right.
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I have never heard of anyone messing up a PC by experimenting with memory.

As long as you remove the battery and A/C power when working inside the notebook, and don't build up a lot of static electricity, you should be fine.

The worst that has ever happened to me is the notebook won't boot up with incompatible memory.

I guarantee you will be very happy to see that 8 GB will work fine in your model.

Please post back with your results.

HP Recommended

As soon as I  upgrade the memory,I will post here the result

HP Recommended

After long time,I finally bought 2x4 gb sodimm ddr2 ram 667 mhz pc-5300 for my HP DV6922 . For my surprise,the memory works fine and the windows shows that I have 8 gb.  Yeah..on a intel 965 chipset... I never thought that my laptop would ever had 8 gb of ram,because the maximum supported is 4 gb,according to the official site specs. I found these sodimms on a site for sales,second hand stuff... and its cost me only 70$ ,both of them.  Finally tested!  

Intel 965 chipset support 8 gb ram !

HP Recommended

Hi:

Glad you were able to get the memory for a decent price.

New, 2 x 4 GB is around $200 or more.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.