Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

@nematsvehclav

I could not say for sure.

But I have yet to see a 16gb memory card for a laptop. "Yet"

REO

HP Recommended

hello,

has anyone managed to confirm if we can install 2x16GB DDR3 1600 RAM?

I am about to buy an upgrade set of two for my DV7-6001xx

HP Recommended

As the HP support guy said above ... 16gb memory card for a laptops are hard to find. Do a research in the shops and you'll find out. Also check your HP notebook service manual pdf ... it will tell you if you can have max 16gb or max 32gb, but I think those with max 32gb would have 4 slots indicating that it is a 4x8 arrangement, sorta pointing towards the non-existance of 16gb ram sticks, but what do I know. that's my guess. do a research and voila.

As to upgrading to 32gb - WHY? Read some guides online. Most say that you don't even need 16gb, let alone 32? Why would you need so much? Sure, if you're doing some 4K video rendering or massive architectural modelling work then yeah, but even then 32gb is somewhat an overkill. 8gb is still enough nowadays, 16gb is better but a slight waste of cash, 32 ... what can I say ... you are a rich man then.

HP Recommended

I use my machine for machine design simulation, Finite Element Analysis and modelling. So 8GB is not enough, I actually need a cluster platform to improve performance.

16GB is the maximum that's stated in my spec sheet but then I'm wondering if the reason why they state 2x8GB is not based on availability of the 1x16GB modules.

If I do manage to find an operational 2x16GB DDR3 1333MHz set of modules, then will it work on my machine or is the hardware already limited by capacity to work at 2x8GB DDR3?

HP Recommended

I do get your point, you might actually be right that back then the limitation of 2x8 came from the non-existance (at that time) of a single 16gb stick. It might however be another thing - for myself I know that I had to check exactly what RAM my cpu supports ... i.e. the speed of the RAM, and I think when I was checking about that there were also limitations posed by the cpu as to how much amount of RAM it supports. So do check with your cpu vendor to see what your cpu allows in terms of gigabytes.

PS

Be careful whatever you buy make sure to buy it in dual-channel mode, that is - buy two ram sticks together in a package cos they have been tested together to work in dual channel. Dual vs single channel mode is a looong story about which you can read a lot on Tomshardware, but I guess for your Finite element analysis dual would be better than single. It's a deep matter, tbh.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.