Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

The air is blocked http://s23.postimg.org/e2kkgpd8r/pc_laptop_air_block.jpg You have to remove the block on the inside. I removed it on my HP Pavilion dv7, and now it's ok. When the CPU gets too hot, it shuts down the PC to prevent damage

HW monitor http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

HP Recommended

You just assume that everybodys laptop vents are clogged with cat/dog hair like yours was?  That is a very questionable assumption.  Mine is pristine clean inside.  It overheats because it is a bad design.

HP Recommended

It's not my laptop on the photo, only illustration, but the air was blocked, removed it, and the laptop became as new

It's possible some other models have a  design problem

HP Recommended

All my vents are clean, flat surface, cooling table underneath......what I noticed is that the left-side hinge is broken. This is a design issue that HP will not recognize because they don't want to pay for all the repairs !!!

NEVER, NEVER again will I buy any HP product.

HP Recommended

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your queries. I wil do my best to help.

I regret you are having this difficulty.

I grasp that you are experiencing an overheating and auto shutdown issue. Here is a link to Troubleshooting an Overheating and Auto Shutdown Issue.

If you unit requires a bios update, I suggest contacting HP support as it does have the potential to cause damage.

Updating the BIOS.

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region  Technical Support Sitemap

I hope this is helpful.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, none of that helps with the design flaw in the hinge that causes the problem in the first place !!

HP should issue a recall and repair the units, free of charge.

But that requires responsibility and honesty......

HP Recommended

Hi PaulSndrs,

I  just sent you a private message. If you are not sure how to check your forum messages,  this post  has instructions.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

"Unfortunately, none of that helps with the design flaw in the hinge that causes the problem in the first place !!"

I agree and being told to repeat the same "troubleshooting" steps you have already done under the assumption the it is the BIOS or airways are clogged is blanket denial and time wasting. HP should issue a recall and repair the units, free of charge. 

I am a technology consultant. My laptops are my entire life and I thought this laptop would be a good consumer grade laptop for more personal use. After using this I can't recommend an HP laptop. Not until I see a signifigant change in form or follow through with actually recalling and fixing the issue. After trying every solution I know, researching online and trying the troubleshooting steps suggested I am just dessapointed. I knew the whole time that my bios was fine and airways wer clean and  even with the cooling trays I've had to use with it over the last year, this laptop gets incredibly hot. 

HP Recommended

Yes.  The laptops are junk.  There is no airflow over the components that generate the heat.  I will never buy another HP product.  I am frequently asked for opinions on which pc to buy.  My answer always starts with definitely do not buy an HP no matter what the price.

HP Recommended

well to me to hot means to hot to keep your hand on the laptop with out it being uncomfortable ie if you left it sitting on your lap you would burn your leg wich is how hot my pavilion dv7 gets

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.