Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Probook 450 G1
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi,

I'm looking to upgraed my good old notebook and was wondering about all the supported CPUs for it. I know for sure that these are supported: 

i3-4000M

i3-4100M

i5-4200M (my current one)

i7-4702MQ

2550M and

3550M

The thing is, I found this one to be really effective cost/performace wise: i5-4310M but I can't figure out whether my computer would support it. On the site hwbot.org it states that both the i5-4200M and i5-4310M share the Intel HM87 chipset and the g3 cpu socket and the list of supported motherboards for both were identical. 

What confused me though, is when I found out my motherboard version through cmd.exe, it said Hewlett-Packard 1942 which was nowhere on the hwbot lists.

Sorry if I dragged this out a little too long but what I'd really like to know is preferably a full list of supported CPUs for my computer and/or whether the i5-4310M is supported.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @djbj_0,

Thank you for your reply !!

HP has tested and certified the list of compatible Processors for your PC model as i have mentioned in my previous post.

The Guide will have all the compatible Hardwares. If that hardware is not listed, then I means they are not compatible.

Since i5-4310M is not tested, Cannot assure you, It might or It might not work. 

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again !!

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hello @djbj_0,

From the guide :  

Here is the list of Processors :

Intel Core i7-4702MQ, 2.2-GHz processor with 6-MB L3 cache 723522-001

Intel Core i5-4200M, 2.5-GHz processor with 3-MB L3 cache 737328-001

Intel Core i3-4000M, 2.4-GHz processor with 3-MB L3 cache 737327-001

Intel Pentium 3550M, 2.4-GHz, with 2-MB L3 cache 737329-001

Intel Celeron 2950M, 2.1-GHz, with 2-MB L3 cache 737326-001

Guide: http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=5405421&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c03...

SEE PAGE-78-79

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again !!

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

From what I understand, that is the list of processors that the Probook 450 G1 use for their different models. But does that mean the i5-4310M wouldn't work?

HP Recommended

Hello @djbj_0,

Thank you for your reply !!

HP has tested and certified the list of compatible Processors for your PC model as i have mentioned in my previous post.

The Guide will have all the compatible Hardwares. If that hardware is not listed, then I means they are not compatible.

Since i5-4310M is not tested, Cannot assure you, It might or It might not work. 

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Thank you very much, you've been really helpful! 🙂 kudos

HP Recommended

You're very Welcome !! @djbj_0

All the Best !!   Thanks for being a member!

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee

HP Recommended

hi,

the below cpus are all on socket G3 and should be all (I think) compatible with the chipsets HM86,HM87,QM87. I've pasted the TDP to make u aware of it ... yours is an 37w and i don't know how much u can push it . I think u could upgrade to 47w , but would u push your luck to a 57w cpu ? pls reply with details 

Processor Number TDP 2950M 37 W 2970M 37 W 3550M 37 W 3560M 37 W i3-4000M 37 W i3-4100M 37 W i3-4110M 37 W i5-4200M 37 W i5-4210M 37 W i5-4300M 37 W i5-4310M 37 W i5-4330M 37 W i5-4340M 37 W i7-4600M 37 W i7-4610M 37 W i7-4700MQ 47 W i7-4702MQ 37 W i7-4710MQ 47 W i7-4712MQ 37 W i7-4800MQ 47 W i7-4810MQ 47 W i7-4900MQ 47 W i7-4910MQ 47 W i7-4930MX 57 W i7-4940MX 57 W

HP Recommended

I currently have an i7 4700mq in a Probook 450 G1, working just fine.

You do have to watch the temperature in say gaming scenarios with a discrete GPU, but for that you have the Intel XTU utility, which works wonders, everything is adjustbale from voltage to tdp and current limits.

The only problem with XTU at least on a 450 G1 with Win 8.1,  is that you have to shut down the XTU service from task manager manually each time you want to shut down or put the PC to sleep - because if you dont the application might stop working altogether and whats more you wont be able to uninstall the mess.

Here's a benchmark with stock settings (no XTU or any other tuning, high performance power setting)

userbenchmark. com/UserRun/9164852

Cheers

HP Recommended

Thanks for sharing I have an HP Probook 450 G1 aswel and I was going for an  i7 4700mq too. Glad to know is working fine.

Regards.

HP Recommended

Will be just fine, been using it for like a year now, power supply seems to handle it no problem, only thing you have to watch is thermals under load.

Regards,

Radler

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.