Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
probook 6460b

Hi

Recently, I started to have the following problem with my Probook 6460b. Often, when I plug AC adapter to it, it behaves like if adapter was not connected at all - the laptop is still powered by the battery, and the battery is slowly discharging. I replaced power cord, but it didn't help. Usually, the laptop finally switches to AC power and starts to charge the battery after plugging the AC adapter in and out a few times or after shaking the cable connecting adapter and laptop.

This made me think that perhaps the AC adapter, or the cable connecting the adapter and notebook, is damaged, so I decided to try with another AC adapter.

The AC adapter, which I've been using so far, is:

HP Part Number: 608425-003 ("Replace with HP Spare: 609939-001")

Output: 18.5V, 3.5A / 65W

Another AC adapter, which I've got, is:

HP Part Number: 677774-001 ("Replace with HP Spare: 693711-001")

Output: 19.5V, 3.33A / 65W

I'm bit afraid that, due to differences in voltage, the 677774-001 might damage my notebook, if I plug it in.

So, I have two questions:

1. Is it safe to plug the 677774-001 AC adapter to my Probook 6460B?
  2. Do you know if the problem, which I've described, might be caused by damaged charger, or does it indicate rather that the notebook is damaged?

Many thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

My calculation shows this is around 5% difference which is acceptable my concern is the tip and connector. Why not buy

https://www.amazon.com/609939-001-Replacement-Notebook-Adapter-Charger/dp/B004MR9YOU

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

@banhien, many thanks for very quick reply! I tried to get the 609939-001, but the only similar HP charger I could get from the local store, which I checked, was the 677774-001. And, actually it has the same tip and connector as my old 608425-003, so this is not the problem here. My only concern were differences in voltage and amperage between both adapters.

I will try to do some more investigation (maybe HP support can help here) before plugging in the adapter, and will get back with the results.

Many thanks again!

HP Recommended

Getting back after over 8 months... Well, "better late than never", as they say... 🙂

So, I didn't contact HP support (actually, I'm not sure if they still support Probooks 6460b?), but nevertheless I decided  to plug the mentioned adapter in. It worked for me, and both adapter and laptop have been working correctly for the last 8 months - and still are.

I'm not an expert here, so I cannot say this will work in every case - all I can say is that it worked for me.

@banhien, again thanks for your help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.