Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hello Dragon-Fur,

it took me a while to respond because I wanted to give the sytem some time since it's automatic and miraculous restore of Windows fingerprint login.

Here's the situation:

Windows fingerprint login only works after hybernation, not after boot.

I do not know what more we can do besides a restore. It's Windows 7 so "refresh" doesn't apply here, does it?

As I am going on a long vacation shortly, I do not want to de a restore now. I'd rather not work myself into stress and have a failed restore on my mind while enjoying my time off.

I will allways read your last reply and take it further from there, but for the moment I will put it to rest.

Thanks for your support!

BenMcDui

HP Recommended

Ben,

Sorry, I either lost track of your OS.

Windows 7 does not have Refresh.  Essentially, though a Refresh is an Operating System overload - a "repair" option, if you will, that installs the Windows OS over the top of itself.  Files, links, and originally installed programs are set back to factory original - user files are left in place.  It sounds great and it is - but it does have some restrictions and it does remove user installed programs and such.

That your SimplePass is working is somewhat of a surprise considering all you have been through to get it back.  No doubt the file system is at the root of the final hurdle;  frankly, although the possible fix is in there somewhere, it is as likely that you will break what you have now if you tinker with it.

You should consider making a fresh Image of your system.  As I recall, this is available in Windows 7 Backuip and Restore.  If you mess up from here and lose what you have, you can use your Image to "come back".

How-to:

Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup

System Image Recovery

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BIOMETRICS - Logon

The fingerprint logon is controlled with the Biometrics feature --

Control Panel > icon view > Biometrics > Change Biometric settings

Sometimes you can regain control of the Logon function by

• switch off the Biometrics that allows one to log in using the fingerprinter,
  • restart the computer and log in, 
  • switch the function back to "on",
  • Restart the computer and log in

Note that switching the Biometrics off /on does wipe out your saved password and the password of any other user of the notebook.  You have to reset everything after the logon function is switched back on.

ALWAYS create a Restore Point before switching the Biometrics off / on.

The risks:

• The system will not completely wipe out (or restore) the logon password correctly - you could end up with "incorrect password".  This breaks SimplePass in the sense that you do not have access to the control programs.
  • Although it should not do so, it might break SimplePass in other odd ways.  This is not a common result.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Device Power Management

The Biometric Validity Sensor and some other drivers (example, wireless) inlcude a Power Management setting.

To some extent you can control how the computer manages the device by telling the computer if it is allowed to turn off the power to the device itself.  The amount of savings realized by allowing the computer to switch off the hardware can be meaningful only if your system is running on battery AND if you allow the battery run down to critical levels.  In other words, the amount of power used to control the Biometric device is TINY.

There are a couple of ways to get to the Power Management setting:

Control Panel > icon view > Device Manager > Biometrics >

Right click on Validity Sensor device (or other brand) >
Properties > Power Management

OR

Control Panel > icon view > Biometrics >

Under your Biometric Devices > Click Properties > Change Settings > Power Management

Then:

UNCHECK "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

OK

NOTE to anyone using Windows 8+:

Especially if you are using your Windows Live login account, you might want to set your wireless card to this same Power Management setting.   Windows 8 really, really wants to be connected to the Internet.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SimplePass Windows Logon Setting

Within SimplePass (Splash) > Settings (small spikey wheel) >

Under "Enable Features" > CHECK the boxes to control which functions overwhich SimplePass has control

The Windows Logon box is miost likely checked by default.  You might be able to "kick" the program by toggling this feature with a computer restart in between.

If you like, you can try

• UNCHECK the Windows Logon Box
  • Click OK to set the selection
  • Open (start) SimplePass (Splash)
  • CHECK the Windows Logon Box
  • Click OK to set the selection

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hello Dragon-Fur,

after having been away for quite some time, I found out that the problem hadn't solved itself.

Finally, I decide to do a restore back to the sutiation of 2012. After some difficulties this succeeded and left much of my setup intact. I then upgraded the driver and Simplepass and verything is working OK now. Very special: the setup still said is was missing TrueAPI(x64) but it then found an installed it!

So I'm happy with a working Simplepass and even my failing Bluetooth has come b

Thanks again, we can close this item.

BenMcDui

HP Recommended

Greetings Ben,

The setup worked as it should this time -- the file is "missing" and then it is installed from within the procedure.

Excellent -- and I am glad your Bluetooth found its feet again, too.

Reference:

Open the file > Click on Download > Click “Open in Adobe Reader”

Simple Instructions to Upgrade HP SimplePass

Click the Kudos Thumbs-Up!

It is a nice way to say “Thank You" for the help.

Although I strive to reflect HP's best practices, I do not work for HP. 

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@BenMcDui wrote:

Simplepass does not offer to store a login when I manually log in in IE10 or Firefox.

Different versions of SimplePass [SP] have different methods of how orr when it stores passwords or login info for websites. Version 6.0.100.276 e.g., has an option in settings that asks if SP should auto save login info for websites, which is not set on by default.

If set on, it will automatically remember login and website address details after you sign in normally with a username/id and password. Next time you visit the same site, SP will open a tab in the browser normally with the username or id for that login session, and the LED light on the fingerprint reader blinks, ready to take your fingerprint to log you in.

If there are more than one login ids for the same site, and you have signed in with both or all the id's, you will have the option to choose which id/username to log into, by clicking on a down arrow next to the id/username from which you choose the ID.

The security risk here is, if you share the PC and the auto add login is set to on,  you can log in to any other persons' login site[s] if they logged into any site on that PC. in otherwords, you can easilly steal other people's login info if they use your PC to log into a site.

be-well
HP Recommended

@BenMcDui wrote:

Dear Dragon-Fur,

The contents you rerquested:
C:\SWSetup\Drivers\Fingerprint\Drivers\WBF_0011_DRV\X64\wbf_vfs_0011.dll and
C:\SWSetup\Drivers\Fingerprint\Drivers\WBF_0011_DRV\X84\wbf_vfs_0011.dll
similar listings exist for
WBF_003c_DRV,
WBF_010_DRV,
WBF_018_DRV,
WBF_201_DRV,
WBF_300_DRV,
WBF_301_DRV,
WBF_451_DRV.

This is what I did

Backup and delete C:\SWSetup\Drivers\Fingerprint\Drivers\*
Remove the driver 4.3.118.0. The Biometrics Devices disappear from Device manager.
Reboot
Booting takes a long time; Precious is really upset now.
Machine automatically gets driver from Internet and installs 4.5.235.0. I know this version is higher than you recommend, but let's give it a try...
Fingerprint reader remains dead even after reboot.

Remove 4.5.235.0.
Reboot
Interrupt automatic download of driver.
But 4.5.235.0 is still active!

Found C:\SWSetup\Drivers\Fingerprint\WBFDDKSetup.exe and more; backup and remove.
Remove 4.5.235.0.
Reboot.
INTERRUPT the automatic download
Machine now says "driver not found"
Device Manager lists "unknown device" which after inspection turns out to be the reader (Harware-id)

Install sp56403.exe
"A newer version of Validity WBF DDK was already installed. OK?"
Search entire C: for WBF and DKK, delete everything ruthlessly.
Repeat the search, more found, delete.

Install sp56403.exe
Automatic update of the "Unknown Device" in Device Manager -> 4.5.235.0
Reboot
Fingerprint sensor is dead.

Remove 4.5.235
Use CCleaner to remove any WBF DKK related (orphan) entries
Remove any WBF DKK related item on C:
Reboot

run sp56403.exe.

Summarizing:

• Automatic install of version 4.5.235 does not revive the sensor
  • Manual install of sp56403.exe bumps into the "A newer version... " message, although I removed all WBF and DKK related items, as well as registry entries. It seems as if sp56403.exe installs files that lead to the message "A newer version "
  • The sensor remains dead, where previously it at least responde by rejecting my fingerprint.
  • Login results in a black screen that lasts for 30 s.

Note: the sernsor does no longer work during boot, and DigitalPersona says the sensor is not connected. I have not even tried to go beyond this by installing Simplepass.

Beats me..

Thanks for your on-going support!

Ben

You might find that the reason you keep getting v4.5.235.0 reinstalled and older version blocks is because there is a folder with that driver in the file repository, here:

"C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\"

and possibly here:

"C:\Windows\WinSxS"

I found  the same version 4.5.235.0 but for the VFS301 model fingerprint reader there, it was as follows:

"C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wbf_vfs301_wu.inf_amd64_4571b8a9175024d4"

I suggest to do a file search in the FileRepository and the WinSxS folders for the inf file, possibly something like "wbf_vfs0011_wu.inf"  [the name of your sensor model]

The letters "wu" in the file name tells us that this file came from windows update.

Unless you remove all instances of  version 4.5.235.0 from those folders, it will keep reinstalling irself, and not allow older versions of the driver to install.

be-well
HP Recommended

Hi.  I just wanted to thank you for your help in repairing my HP SimplePass.  I can now use my fingerprint again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.