Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP spectre13-4003na Energystar
Microsoft Windows NT

Hi,

Brand new to owning my own laptop- Very exciting!

I'm a geography degree student which means lots  of working on the go! I use my laptop out and about travelling round day to day so obviously want to be able to get the best battery life possible! 

However I also use my laptop at home as my main computer.

What I would like to know is if I can leave my laptop plugged into AC power while at home, even once the battery is fully charged to prevent any discharging of the battery while in use at home? Will this affect the batterys ability to hold charge when not plugged in and out and about? Will I do any damage to my battery by alternating between running of battery power when out and about and leaving the laptop plugged into AC while using it indoors at home?

Any hints and tips on how to get the best out of my new laptops battery life would be fantastic!

Thank You! 🙂

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

HP has a tutorial on that:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01297640

But from using laptops for 25 years I can say the main points are keep the screen brightness as low as you can stand it while on battery, try not to run the battery down below like 15-20%, and don't sweat it. You cannot really affect battery life (runtime) or longevity (time to replacement) very much. It is going to run and last as long as chemistry and physics permits. You can keep it plugged in while you are using it at home or even overnight.

Accept the need to replace the battery about every 2.5 years or so. 

Other than that, enjoy. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.