Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre X360 13 2in1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

I just got my 2-in-1 laptop, New HP X360 Spectre 13' today, in late 2016. 

i7-7500u + HD620 GPU

16G Ram

512G SSD

(Model Number: 13-w023dx)

Cost my around $1,400 dollar.

I feel excited about it, this is seriously a stunning laptop.

HOWEVER

I find this beauty runs so HOOOOOOTTTTT!!!!! 

Temperature gets into 80' Degree easily, by just browsing internet, which is so unreal. 

QQ图片20161015215107.png

I feel so uncomfortable to hear the loud fans and the untouchable left-up corner area.  too hot.

The only way to reduce the heat, seems like turn into save battery mode, in which video playing will face lagging issues.

Also, I have use SpeedFan to check the temperature and fan speed. 

As you can see, ok use of 38% of CPU, the temperature is out of control.

DID you see there are two fans, but only one running , is this the problem of the temperature, please some one from HP tell me this. Or I have to return it back to the shop tomorrow.

DISAPPOINTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Questions summary:

- Why so hot, 80'degree is normal or what?

- How many fan we have in this model, why the second fan doesn't operate at all. 

[F)Z$UYD`W1K3}P754Q%PVR.png

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@anan113
Welcome to the HP Forums,
I hope you're well 🙂

As I understand the computer is overheating,

Don't worry as I have a few steps to resolve this issue:

Symptoms of heat issues and causes of excessive heat

The following list describes some of the issues caused by overheating in the notebook:

• Games stop responding during play.
  • Windows stops responding during use.
  • Fans inside the notebook become louder because they are spinning faster as the laptop gets hot, to remove the heat.
  • When starting the laptop, it sometimes stops at a black screen and does not open into Windows. Windows usually stop responding when it does open.

The following list describes some causes of excessive heat:

• Dust inside the laptop.
  • A new component, such as a hard drive, is added. The extra component causes the power supply to work harder and generate more heat. Extra heat also radiates off the new component and adds to the temperature inside the case.
  • Over time, some cooling fans might slow down and wear out, as the laptop is getting hot, depending on the usage of the laptop.
  • High ambient room temperature.

Step 1: Removing dust and lint by cleaning vents

Step 2: Ensuring proper space for ventilation

Step 3: Updating the BIOS

Step 4: Using HP CoolSense technology

Step 5: Placing the notebook in a cooler room

Step 6: Testing for hardware failure

If the hardware has failed, either replace the bad component or contact HP for further assistance

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.
If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I just received the same laptop HP Spectre x360 with i7 7500u, and I am having the same problem with heat. actually, if it is on my lap while working on it, I feel like it will burn my skin.

I did follow all the steps you provided on this but nothing changed. I read a lot of people have the same issue.

P.S. after it gets really hot, it also has a smell. Will this explode on me????

HP Recommended

This is same as mine and we have the same model.  HP said this is hardware issue and need to be sent in for repair.  I am on an extended travel at the moment so that'll have to wait.   

I use the same tests as you do and the temperature is all over the map and my 2nd fan rarely shows activity just as yours even when the temperature is very high.  Sometimes hitting 90C just having a few tabs open.  Generally stays within 40 to 60 when idle.  Although the tests say it's really hot, I never had an issue with the laptop burning me to the touch on the outside.

What I have noticed is that if you raise the laptop off the ground by an inch or two, the temperature gets a bit better (~5 degrees).  I guess there isn't any room for air circulation having such small rubber feet.  Also, having the laptop cooling fan underneath pushing air up, reduces the temperature drastically, i'm talking about like 20 to 30 degrees difference.  That makes me think something is terribly wrong with the internal fans not doing it's job so definately hardware issue.

Did you get yours fixed?  Any feedback on the job they did?  I'm a bit nervous about whether I'll get my machine back as is with all my data and files safe.

HP Recommended

Same for me.  I made many tests and it is the same.  Even if the temps in Speedfan are lower, the case is hot.  I have been 2 days trying to know what happen.

I think it could be one of 3 think:

1.- The second fan is not working.

2.- The air underneath is not circulating well.

3.- It is afected so much by eviroment temperature.

Do you really know it it has 2 fans?

HP Recommended

Expand "Processor power management." yn advance energy settings.

You can lower the "Maximum processor state" "On battery" and "Plugged in" to 90% (+-5%).

It helps a lot with the heat.

HP Recommended

Same with me, maximum processor state doesn't help, coolSense is unsupported on my device, still at 80 celsius, bios frequently updated, where does that notebook even get so much heat with 15W suply? 😞

HP Recommended
I do not know, but the omly thing that works to me...

Expand "Processor power management." Im advance energy settings.

You can lower the "Maximum processor state" "On battery" and "Plugged in" to 90% (+-5%).

It helps a lot with the heat.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.