Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-au123cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Started 4 recommended updates using HP Support Assistant about 3 PM (PST) on Dec 13.  After more than 17 hours (it is now 8:30 AM PST Dec 14), the update is still not done.  

This is crazy.  What do I do now?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@SeekingHPanswer

HPSA does not always work as expected.

There are a whole bunch of reasons, some of which might be more or less difficult to find / fix.

The Troubleshooting guide provides possible solutions from HP:

HP PCs - Troubleshooting HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 😎

Try tracking down the problem in the Event Viewer -- this wonderful tool is useful, can be frustrating to use, and might provide hints of the underlying problem.  

Magic and skill > Event Viewer

Lesson 3: Using Event Viewer to Troubleshoot Problems

Event Viewer in Windows

How-To Geek > Lesson 3: Using Event Viewer to Troubleshoot Problems

Favorite:

Information at a glance > Reliability Report

How to use Windows 10’s Reliability Monitor to fix and fine-tune your PC

Yellow_Arrow_Bullet_2.jpg  How to Troubleshoot Windows 10 with Reliability Monitor

Reliability Monitor is the Best Windows Troubleshooting Tool You Aren’t Using

No Joy?

Dragon Recommends:

• Set HPSA settings to Notify
  • Run the program to get a list of prospective Drivers
  • If the program provides a list

then

• Open your computer's Driver Page, find the Driver, download, save, and then install the Driver.

If HPSA won't even provide a list of Drivers, 

• Open your computer's Driver Page, Inspect the Driver list, download, save, and then install Drivers as needed / wanted for your setup.

Updates – When and How

Section:  Manual Updates from your computer Support Website

When you see a Post that helps, inspires, provides fresh insight,

or teaches you something new, click the Thumbs Up on that Post.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@SeekingHPanswer

Welcome to the HP Community Forum - we are a community of HP enthusiasts!

Computer Website Driver Support:

HP Pavilion - 15-au123cl - Drivers

Product Name: Pavilion 15-au123cl
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
@SeekingHPanswer wrote:

Started 4 recommended updates using HP Support Assistant about 3 PM (PST) on Dec 13.  After more than 17 hours (it is now 8:30 AM PST Dec 14), the update is still not done.  

This is crazy.  What do I do now?

Kill the process - it is not going to work.

You can try removing the existing HP Support Assistant from Programs and Features > reboot > download and install a new copy of the program.

HP Support Assistant

• If you have ‘Admin’ control, you may highlight the package and “double-click” to install it, else Right-Click, Select run as Administrator and install.

HP PCs - Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 8, 7)

Reminder:

Never let the HPSA update your BIOS.  BIOS updates should only be applied when necessary (to correct a problem) and should always be installed manually.

If you cannot get the program to work - set the HPSA to "notifiy", use the list to extract the Updates > open your computer Driver support website > examine each suggested Driver > decide whether to apply that driver to your computer > create a Restore Point > download and install the Driver

Fancy_Lines_2.jpg

Dragon Document - Help, suggestions, and examples

Updates – When and How

Sections - various, including:

• HP Support Assistant
    • Subsection: HPSA > Update / Download and Install
  • Manual Updates from your computer Support Website

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi Dragon-Fur,  Thanks for your guidance.  It mostly worked.

I uninstalled the HP Support Assistant, then installed what seems to be a newer version.  It now spotted 12 things I needed to update.  The first 11 installed properly (one at a time) but the last one (HP Software update – SP76613) failed several times. 

After re-starting the device, I tried again and it ground away for more than an hour.  I’m giving it a rest.  I’ll try again tomorrow.

I greatly appreciate your help.  Too bad it was needed for a device purchased only 2-1/2 weeks ago.

Best regards.

HP Recommended

Allowed HPSA to try to install SP76613 overnight (12-1/2 hours), but it had not finished so I stopped it.

Re-started PC, then tried again.  The install failed this time.  (Is that progress?)  Tried again 5 times, each time install failed – usually in less than 10 minutes.  (Seemed to be trying to do something related to an Intel graphics driver.)

Any recommendation?  

Should I uninstall, then reinstall HPSA again as I did yesterday – then try to install SP76613?  Maybe something else?  Is there some way to install HP updates without using HPSA?

I appreciate the suggestions.

HP Recommended

@SeekingHPanswer

HPSA does not always work as expected.

There are a whole bunch of reasons, some of which might be more or less difficult to find / fix.

The Troubleshooting guide provides possible solutions from HP:

Try tracking down the problem in the Event Viewer -- this wonderful tool is useful, can be frustrating to use, and might provide hints of the underlying problem.  

Magic and skill > Event Viewer

Lesson 3: Using Event Viewer to Troubleshoot Problems

Event Viewer in Windows

How-To Geek > Lesson 3: Using Event Viewer to Troubleshoot Problems

Favorite:

Information at a glance > Reliability Report

How to use Windows 10’s Reliability Monitor to fix and fine-tune your PC

Yellow_Arrow_Bullet_2.jpg  How to Troubleshoot Windows 10 with Reliability Monitor

Reliability Monitor is the Best Windows Troubleshooting Tool You Aren’t Using

No Joy?

Dragon Recommends:

• Set HPSA settings to Notify
  • Run the program to get a list of prospective Drivers
  • If the program provides a list

then

• Open your computer's Driver Page, find the Driver, download, save, and then install the Driver.

If HPSA won't even provide a list of Drivers, 

• Open your computer's Driver Page, Inspect the Driver list, download, save, and then install Drivers as needed / wanted for your setup.

Updates – When and How

Section:  Manual Updates from your computer Support Website

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Dragon-Fur,

I’m beginning to understand what you mean when you stated "HPSA does not always work as expected."  It seems that each of my 8 or 9 attempts to install SP76613 looked a little different.  After many restarts, the successful attempt installed some old Intel drivers, so after installing new drivers, this seem up to date.  I can now mark this as a “Solution.”

Thanks for your guidance - and for the reference material I can try to figure out the next time something doesn’t work.    

Enjoy the holidays.  Santa’s Nice list has your name on it.

HP Recommended

@SeekingHPanswer

You are welcome!

I like HPSA for a number of the benefits it provides.  Personally, I don't use it to update Drivers although I have used it to check against my own list of prospective updates. 

Love being on Santa's list -- on the "good" side.   Smiling.

Garland_2.jpg

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I have had 2 bad experiences with HP Updates also taking forever to download and install. The last 2 weeks, HP recommends that I download and install a suite of updates, 9 of them. So my question to HP are:  Why so many updates in the space of just 2 weeks and why so long to install?  This is an entire day of waiting for the updates to install, significantly slowing down the laptop.  Also, if ''bios' updates are only supposed to be done if there is a problem with the laptop, why do they come through as recommended updates?  

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.