Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Here are the pictures of both:

FIRST: THE ONE YOU POSTED IN THE LINK WITH 2 CONNECTION STRIPS

SECOND: THE OEM  WITCH IS INSTALLED IN MY NOTEBOOK WITH 3 CONNECTION STRIPS

ARE YOU SHURE THE ONE YOU POSTED IN YOUR LINK,  FIRST,WIL FIT THE CONNECTOR? 

SECOND, WILL THIS ONE BE VISSIBLE ON MY BIOS IN MY  BELGIAN MODEL OF LAPTOP??????

I WANT TO BE SHURE FOR 100% BECAUSE I LIVE IN BELGIUM AND THE ONE IN YOUR LINK I HAVE

TO ORDER IN THE UNITED STATES.

THANKS IN ADVANCE IF YOU WILL ANSWER PLEASE??

timage.jpegimage.jpeg

I know nothing about computers
HP Recommended

Those are B and M keyed M.2 SSDs.  

That is what the difference in the  number and position of slots is. 

See the following ArsTechnica article for an explanation and overview of M.2 SSDs

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/02/understanding-m-2-the-interface-that-will-speed-up-your-next-...

The one that I posted will work.

You can order the SSD drives from belgium or in the netherlands. Use Tweakers.net. I use it all the time. 😉

http://tweakers.net/pricewatch

Can you read Dutch laguage websites?

https://tweakers.net/categorie/674/solid-state-drives/producten/#filter:q1ZKKkrMS_FMKVayijY0MDCL1VEq...

Do you live in the French speaking part of Belgium?

Here is a 512GB Samsung NVME M.2 SSD with a better price.

https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/460887/samsung-sm951-(nvme)-512gb.html

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
Helo Erico,
ARE YOU 1000% SHURE the one YOU mentioned WILL FIT MY CONNECTOR IN MY LAPTOP?????? ARE THERE NO PLASTIC SEPARATIONS IN THE CONNECTOR OF MY LAPTOP TO GUIDE THE DRIVE WITH 3 CONNECTION STRIPS????
I WANT BE SHURE FOR 1000%!!!!!
THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR QUICK RESPONSE. And yes I understand Dutch sites because I'm Flemish.
HP Recommended
The one you posted has the following specs:

Samsung SM951 512GB (NVMe) MZVPV512HDGL-00000 MZ-VPV5120 Gen3 M.2 80mm PCIe 3.0

The one on tweakers net has the following specs:

Samsung SM 951 (NVME) S4LN021X01

Will this work to because the specs are not the same!!!

Thanks in advance for your quick response.
HP Recommended

@Domi1963 wrote:
The one you posted has the following specs:

Samsung SM951 512GB (NVMe) MZVPV512HDGL-00000 MZ-VPV5120 Gen3 M.2 80mm PCIe 3.0

Will this work to because the specs are not the same!!!

Thanks in advance for your quick response.

That is the one you need.  It has the correct memory and controller type.

You may have to prep the drive with the Diskpart utility and convert it to GPT before it is recognized by the BIOS. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
Helo Erico,
1) ok it has the right specs.
2) you still did n't answer my question if this new one wil enter in the connector of my brand new laptop (see specs of the laptop at the beginning of my treat) please answer that if you want? I repeat: the oem installed has 3 connecting strips. The one you propose has only 2 connecting strips????
3) prep the drive with the disk part utility and convert it to GPT??? That I don't understand.Sorry I'm not a computer freak. Can you explain step by step what you mean whit this please?? Thanks in advance for your quick response.
HP Recommended

@Domi1963 wrote:
Helo Erico,
1) ok it has the right specs.
2) you still did n't answer my question if this new one wil enter in the connector of my brand new laptop (see specs of the laptop at the beginning of my treat) please answer that if you want? I repeat: the oem installed has 3 connecting strips. The one you propose has only 2 connecting strips????
3) prep the drive with the disk part utility and convert it to GPT??? That I don't understand.Sorry I'm not a computer freak. Can you explain step by step what you mean whit this please?? Thanks in advance for your quick response.

It will fit in the connector.

If you read through some of the article I linked to that is from the Ars Technica website on M.2 SSD disks you will have a better understanding ofthe new technology that is M.2 specification SSD drives.

Prepping the drive with diskpart and conversion to a GPT format is unfortunately something you are very likely to have to do.

Upgrading to a higher capacity M.2 NVMe SSD is just not as simple as upgrading to a SATA SSD.  

I upgraded my desktop's motherboard recently. It is a bit of an upgrade because it has NVMe M.2 SSD capability.  I had to create a Windows 10 USB GPT installer in order to perform the OS install to the  Samsung NVMe M.2 SSD that I bought to use with the mobo.   The install will not work if you use an MBR format usb installer. You will run into the dreaded  Windows cannot be installed to this disk" error.

I know that from my experience with the motherboard and all of the reading it took to successfully upgrade the desktop PC.

I can write a tutorial on how it is done if you need it.

HP Recommended
Yes if you want to write a tutorial on how it is done??
Even I don't understand your terms just like GPT,MBR etc...
I installed the last upgrade for the bios from the HP site for my model of laptop. For upgrading the motherboard, you mean that you replaced by another one??? I have a recent laptop. Will I need to do that to???
HP Recommended

desktop's motherboard recently. It is a bit of an upgrade because it has NVMe M.2 SSD capability. I had to create a Windows 10 USB GPT installer in order to perform the OS install to the Samsung NVMe M.2 SSD that I bought to use with the mobo. The install will not work if.

you see i don't even understand that: Windows 10 USB GPT installer.

Spoiler
Spoiler
:indifferent:
HP Recommended

Yes, I replaced the motherboard with another one. Previously there was an ASUS R.O.G. Crosshair V Formula-Z mobo installed. The replacement mobo was a Gigabyte GA-990X-Gaming-SLI unit.  

Hard disks are volumes and disks.

Hard disks are formatted in either MBR or GPT partitioning schemes.

MBR is Master  Boot Record and has the strict limitation of a maximum of four physical and unlimited logical partitions.

"GUID Partition Table (GPT) is a partitioning scheme that is part of the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface specification; it uses a globally unique identifier for qualifying devices. It is the next generation partitioning scheme designed to succeed the Master Boot Record partitioning scheme method" 

In order to install an operating system to a GPT hard disk and allow it to be recognized by a UEFI BIOS, one must use a GPT installer.  A Windows GPT installer can be created with a number of different utilities. My favorite usb installer media creator utility is called RUFUS.  The Windows GPT installer can be used to prep your new M.2 SSD so the recovery media you created can be used on it.

RUFUS 

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

I hope that helps you understand more of what you are going to have to do.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.