Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Little update: As you may see in my signature Intel 7260-AC dual band works on my dv6-7000. Intel 6300 and 6235 work too. Well it's hard to say how the whitelist is applied on this motherboards (BIOS) but the 7260 is definitely newer than the motherboard and still works out of the box.:smileyhappy:

Asus ROG STRIX G16 Manjaro Xfce
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
HP Recommended

Even HP employees I've been in touch with are mystified by these policies.  Consider that a good wifi card costs so little, yet HP can sell you a laptop for $1500 with a wifi card that's 10 years out of date.  They should now offer the latest wifi technology, speeds up to more then 1.5gbps, instead they sneak you a card that in real life couldn't hit 64kmbps a foot from a high end router.  Huge turnoff to customers.

Of course, this same company won't sell you a modern laptop, well equipped, with Win 7, even though Microsloth has not prohibited them from doing so.  And I won't buy one with Windows APE (excuse me Windoze 😎 on it.  So with my old DV9000 wearing out, I won't be able to buy a replacement from HP.

HP Recommended

pepe999,

I'm a bit confused.  I have a DV7 laptop that came with an Intel 1030.  An HP rep sent me an Intel 6200 series card from HP stock, and it got blocked by the whitelist.  Your signature doesn't show any laptop details, so any detail you could provide on the card, where you got it (HP?), etc. including how you found drivers that worked would be appreciated.

HP Recommended

We buy a Notebook Computer and new wifi cards appear - there are people who know how to get them to work using software to change the listing in the BIOS for the wifi card.

I did it with my older Toshiba, I exchanged Intel 3455 for 5100  or other wifi card. HP is too complex for me - one must understand the process, therefore unknown to me. I read a forum on how to do it - problem is Toshiba uses a different company, HP another company to write software for the BIOS. You just swap information listed in software for the BIOS and you can use the new card.

I too wish i could find a motebook yet thay all do it.  BIOS lists everything used by the Computer or it ignores something different - yet not always, there are some things we can swap, without changing the BIOS.

HP Recommended

@pbug56 wrote:

pepe999,

I'm a bit confused.  I have a DV7 laptop that came with an Intel 1030.  An HP rep sent me an Intel 6200 series card from HP stock, and it got blocked by the whitelist.  Your signature doesn't show any laptop details, so any detail you could provide on the card, where you got it (HP?), etc. including how you found drivers that worked would be appreciated.

The thing is that I have got a new board with nVidia GF650M so any model for dv6 or dv7 with Ivy Bridge chipset and this vga is compatible with those wifi cards mentioned above.:)

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
HP Recommended

You upgrade mobos?  Where did the new mobo - and bios, come from?  And what PC is it meant for, if any?

HP Recommended

@pbug56 wrote:

You upgrade mobos?  Where did the new mobo - and bios, come from?  And what PC is it meant for, if any?

There are boards only with GF 630M in the UK so I bought a board from the US with 650M. It's compatible with any dv6-7000 series laptop. Got it from ebay by a part number from a dv6-7000 manual. 

The BIOS is the original as I didn't bother to play with it because everything worked out of the box.

HP Recommended

@pepe999 wrote:

Little update: As you may see in my signature Intel 7260-AC dual band works on my dv6-7000. Intel 6300 and 6235 work too. Well it's hard to say how the whitelist is applied on this motherboards (BIOS) but the 7260 is definitely newer than the motherboard and still works out of the box.:smileyhappy:

Well I have a envy dv6 7214, I ordered the Intel 7260-AC and fingers crossed it works.  And yes the 6235 does work too, but it was listed in the service manuel for Japan models only.  Intel Smart Connect does not work because it says it can't find what it's looking for in the bios though.:smileymad:

HP Recommended

@mploc wrote:

@pepe999 wrote:

Well I have a envy dv6 7214, I ordered the Intel 7260-AC and fingers crossed it works.  And yes the 6235 does work too, but it was listed in the service manuel for Japan models only.  Intel Smart Connect does not work because it says it can't find what it's looking for in the bios though.:smileymad:

Yes, that's right about the Japan models and Intel 6235 in the manual. The BIOSes for HP laptops are with basic options only so users can't do anything about that. I'm waiting for the new Asus router, RT-AC68U..

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/03/asus-launches-the-rt-ac68u-802-11ac-router-with-ac1900-speeds/

HP Recommended

I just stumbled upon a wifi card on ebay that actually worked in my  DV6 ... was an atheros card that supports monitor mode and injection.  Was the sixth card I tried.  This is really just such a dumb issue!

-=john=-

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.