Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Probook, Elitebook

Hi! I'm looking for a notebook with USB-C port, and specifically for one whose battery can be charged through its USB-C port.

For the sake of clarity I'm not talking about charging other devices here, like Powersharing, but more the ability to charge the PC itself without having to bring a big Powerbrick wherever I go.

I know that the Spectre ultrabooks have this feature but since I'm leaning towards a more traditional model in terms of ergonomics I'd like to know if there any of the ProBook, EliteBook och ZBook models that also can be powered through the USB-C port?

It seems as if the ProBook 640 G2 and the HP EliteBook 850 G3 can do this, but I'm not sure.

Help is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Anders

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

At least the following machines have USB-C port:

• HP ZBook 15u G3 Mobile Workstation
  • HP EliteBook 850 G3 Notebook PC
  • HP EliteBook 848 G3 Notebook PC
  • HP EliteBook 840 G3 Notebook PC
  • HP EliteBook 755 G3 Notebook PC
  • HP EliteBook 745 G3 Notebook PC

and more

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

HP notebooks don't work properly with USB-C charging.  HP has basically made their USB-C ports proprietary. This article explains the issue, but HP has apparently done nothing to correct it.  

HP Recommended

Hello,,

i have HP elitebook 745 G3 and you mentined it should be able to charging through USB-C  .. I tried it ,and it is not working..    i cannot google anything about how to enable or solve this. Is it needed to enable or i have to use some specific HP hardware to charging through usb-c  ...  

i am looking for solution how to charge it from high power power bank..  

thank you 

Jan

HP Recommended

yeah new docks are useless for that price.

Same issues here , we got mostly HP and lenovo at work and all new HP docks suck. They are basically USB docks they cannot charge laptop battery.

We got HP probook\Elites G4

Tried with usb docking  station  model tpa-b01

HP elite USB-C dock

Fun fact is all the websites including HP says they can charge latpop from USB-C.

Tried to 45w/65w, I guess they are trying to fix with software/firmware but no news so far.

cheers.

HP Recommended

@SGundam wrote:

yeah new docks are useless for that price.

Same issues here , we got mostly HP and lenovo at work and all new HP docks suck. They are basically USB docks they cannot charge laptop battery.

We got HP probook\Elites G4

Tried with usb docking  station  model tpa-b01

HP elite USB-C dock

Fun fact is all the websites including HP says they can charge latpop from USB-C.

Tried to 45w/65w, I guess they are trying to fix with software/firmware but no news so far.

cheers.

Yes I would like to know of a device that would charge an elitebook 1030 g3 through the usb c port. I have seen a device listed in the US which puports to do this but is now unavailable. I have also tried a 45 watt and a 65 watt output usb c powerbank. The 65 watt device chanrges a macbook pro 2017 and the 45 watt and 65 watt powerbanks charge a surface go. I will watch with interest. Thanks for reading.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.