Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
POSSIBLE SOLUTION that got the system to boot from hdd...in Setup (F10)..under System Configuration..there is an option, Legacy Support that was Disabled..by Enabling it the laptop booted from the hdd. Notice that when you Enable this option...the Legacy Boot Order Is Enabled.
If it's Enabled on your system already, toggle it to Disabled to see If that helps.
Note: I had to swap in a new hdd cause the original one could not be read with a hdd reader...plus chkdsk /f /r ran for 3 days and failed...hope this is helpful
HP Recommended

hi

how can fix (3f0),   boot device not found,

HP Recommended

Hi FAISAL-PT. What is the model number of your computer? What version of Windows is installed?
Have you tried any of the other recommendations in this thread? If so which ones have you tried?

<How Do I Find My Notebook Model Number>: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108
<How Do I Find My Desktop Model Number>: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07555

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

@Nishaat-HP wrote:

Hi there,

I started up my notebook and all it said was

"Boot Device Not Found

Please install an operating system on your hard disk

Hard Disk (3F0)"

Can anyone assist me???

boot devis si nomt fund

HP Recommended
v
HP Recommended

Took in to be repaired by a local chap....he said that he has had so mant HYPPaviloion laptops , THAT AREN'T EVEN A YEAR OLD, with same problem and he wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. He managed to save what was on my hard drive before it completely died.

He warned me that laptop would probably have other probs too.

Advice to folk out there....do not by a HP Pavilion laptop!!

HP Recommended

I am working on a pavilion g4 that is just over a year old and suddenly failed to boot, showing this error.

In this case I found that the hard drive has failed.  however, I am not 100% sure that is the only failure.

I had this error repeatedly show even after installing a new hard drive and using the system recovery disks.  Recovery would seem to go find until it had to reboot the machine and it would hang with the 3F0 error.  I also noticed the area on the wrist rest above the hard drive interface electronics would get quite hot and so did the hard drive.

..There are some other tips in this thread and elsewhere.

- turning ON legacy boot support in bios

- turning off secure boot

These things alone did not work but I tried an experiment.  I downloaded a ubuntu image and loaded it - works fine!

It gave me the hint that the hardware might be fine in spite of the excessive heat. 

Finally I loaded a different hard drive and did these things:

- erased/removed all stored secure boot keys (and also disabled secure boot)

- used the "factory reset" option in the recovery media software.  I think the failed attempts I used the minimal image and system recovery options.

The recovery took a very long time - more than 3 hours and the system does not give good and clear indications of the progress but I kept an eye on the heat (it ran cooler this time for some reason).  Finally got a Windows OS recovered that seems like it is going to work.

not out of the woods yet.  There is a chance my problem is intermittent and just got lucky recently... I will update if I learn more.

HP Recommended

Hi there,

I started up my notebook and all it said was

"Boot Device Not Found

Please install an operating system on your hard disk

Hard Disk (3F0)"

Can anyone assist me???

HP Recommended

firican, what have you tried so far?

to get into the testing you need to either press Esc key or repeatedly tap it after you press the power button to start the machine (I have never been 100% sure which is the correct way for that).

To shut off the machine when you need to - hold the power button down for at least 4 seconds or until it shuts down.

You should be able to get to some kind of test menu for checking the hard drive.  Try to find that menu and do a hard drive quick test.

Do you have system repair disk and recovery disks?

HP Recommended

I ran into this same error msg "Hard Disk (3FO)" on a brand new HP PowerBook 250. To fix this I went into the bios and enabled Legacy support. Once i did, the OS came right up.

My scenario:  Brand new laptop running Win8 OEM installed. Our company runs Win7.  I had to initially enable Legacy support in the Bios to install Win7.  So even though my situation is NOT normal, play with the settings on Enable/Disable Legacy support in the Bios.  It is a brand new out of the box system, I highly doubt the HDD is failing.  I also perfomed a SMART HDD check and a DST HDD check after the error message, both passed successfully.  Good luck to all.  More shall hopefully be revealed about this anomaly. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.