Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have read hundreds of so called experts going on and on about this problem. Your solution worked for me on the first try! Thanks so much!

HP Recommended
I've got a weird behavior here. Got a Probook 4530s which suddenly stopped booting. Going to BIOS and running the HDD test tells me that no HDD is installed. If I try to install windows, when I reach the drive selection page, it shows a drive with 0 MBs, so I can't install the OS.
The funny part is that I can boot Ubuntu from a stick and see the drive in GParted. I can even partitition it!

I've also run a HDD health tool (SMART testing) and it tells that the drive is alright.

Any clue?
HP Recommended

I am also having difficulties after installing a new SSD, on a refurbished system that came with Windows 8, but the HDD died.  I currently have Legacy enabled, secure boot disabled, keys are cleared.  On some settings, it works a while, then locks up again.  This is making me lose any interest in HP again in the future.

My full story:

In my case, affter the original HP HDD failed, and was flagged by the SMART settings, not allowing it to boot.  It was dead and unrecoverable.  I tried to fix it, and I was able to bypass the SMART settings, but Windows slowed to a crawl and was unable to get past the login screen (I gave up entirely on the old HDD, but will try to recover a few files later using a USB drive box).

I then decided to upgrade to a 256GB Crucial MX100 SSD Drive.  And herein lies the problem, and fix, that I am writing about:

After replacing the damaged factory HDD with the new SSD drive, I was able to install the OS to factory new using the recovery disks I had made when I had purchased the computer.  No problems installing, or doing updates.  I spent a good half day reinstalling updates, until I decided to retire to bed.  I then did a complete shutdown.  

The next morning, I turned my computer on to find myself at the exact same HDD failure screen that I had seen when my initial HDD failed. I was pretty upset, and assumed that my SSD had failed.  This was NOT the case.  

My computer specs:

Refurbished Pavilion 17-e049wm with an AMD A10 5750M processor

Windows 8.0, 64-bit, but I upgraded to Windows 8.1
Product number: E0J75UAR#ABA
Damaged old HDD replaced with 256GB Crucial MX100 SSD 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Easy fix I think....

To get the laptop to 'restart' correctly uninstall 'intel rapid storage' and 'intel managment engine'.  We were able to do this from programs and features in control panel.

After removing those we are able to restart etc

Good luck.

R

HP Recommended

Just an FYI that I've been solid for 3 weeks now.  I did NOT have to uninstall the "intel rapid storage" and "intel management engine."

In my case, once I overcame the correct bios settings (thank-you MS for making Windows 8 aid computer manufacturers like HP in messing with people who choose to upgrade -- NOT), I was OK. 

The truth I eventually learned was, through the Crucial Storage Executive test software, that my drive needed to be re-seated.  I've been fine since doing that.  

So it's the BIOS settings disabling Secure Boot, and resetting Secure Boot Keys, that are most important when installing these drives.

HP Recommended

oh please tell me what to do.. I am having the same problem and need to know what to buy! I have tried and tried to remedy this problem and now  I am in a panic cause I can't afford to take it in and from what I have researched it looks like my hard drive might be going out.  I get that boot device code every day but if I turn it off and on repeatedly it eventually starts running again.  thanks in advance for any help

HP Recommended
If your original HDD is going bad, and if you are getting the 3FO errorit prrobably is, then either get a HDD of the same size or larger, OR an SSD that has enough space to handle Windows and whatever you need. Back up your files to an external or cloud immediately before proceeding.

In my opinion, replacing the HDD with a SATA notebook drive will work best for you. If you get an SSD, go with either a Samsung EVO or a Kingston model, as that seems to be what HP sells as compatible replacements.
HP Recommended

Hello Provost

Have just received the same the message in my new laptop. What should i do it worked for one week only

Regards

Godliving

G.A.N
HP Recommended

Now this may not solve all of the issues relating to this. but in some cases if you set the machine to boot to UEFI it may work but this only supports the default image. where if your trying to boot to CD or LAN ectra, you would need to boot with legacy mode.

HP Recommended

So to me this sounds like a hard drive issue however what i would say is maybe try a new Operating System, these can be found online buy a disk version.

If it is a hard drive issue then you will need this anyway.

1) Place the disk in before you boot the device usually boot open then force shutdown is best.

2)Press the F11 key on the boot screen where asked to or the F key that says Boot Menu next to it.

3)Boot from the drive that includes CD/DVD in the name and not the one with CD/DVDDS

4)Now you can install the software follow onscreen instructions.

If this does not work or show a hard drive as an option to install to then it is a hard drive issue.

You can take it to any PC maintence shop or try a fix yourself from youtube videos.

It is a simple proccess.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.