Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

VERY HELPFUL SUMMARY OF SUPPORT TOOLS & LINKS
…regarding “
Hard disk Short DST test failed” issue   (Many thanks to Dave for his support)

Y O U R    D I R E C T I O N    S H O U L D    B E:
=> 1. Warranty research FIRST (is my HD still under warranty or not?) AND do I still have data on my drive I need to get off?

=> 2. “Post Warranty Options” if HD warranty expired

1.       WARRANTY   INFO
If your notebook is still under warranty, contact HP and arrange to have the drive replaced -
you can check your warranty status Here.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.
If you are in another part of the world, start Here

MY DRIVE IS COVERED FOR REPLACEMENT, BUT I NEED THE DATA COPIED OFF MY DRIVE BEFORE I SEND IT IN:

FAST SOLUTION: Obtain a large flash drive or external USB drive and refer to B. below. Once your system is booted from a live CD your data files may be copied from your boot-defective HD to a USB drive mentioned above, baring your HD is not 100% unreadable, which is most likely NOT the case.

2.       POST  WARRANTY  OPTIONS
Whats wrong? determine your HD problem

System still boots up – Refer to A. Below
System no longer boots up – Refer to B. below

NOTE:
IF YOU ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH RUNNING UTILITY SOFTWARE OF THIS NATURE OR CONFIGURING A PC BIOS TO CHANGE BOOT DEVICE SELECTION ORDER,
SEEK YOUR PC GO-2-GUY OR FRIEND FOR SUPPORT ON GETTING YOU STARTED.

A.      System still boots up:  A good choice for your first post warranty option shoud be to evaluate your “apparently failing HD” with a external diagnostics program available at a reputable source such as cgisecurity.org available at the link below:
TestDisk & PhotoRec 6.14 (30 July 2013), Data Recovery

Available in various languages as well:
english version chinese version deutsche Version versión español version française ورژن فارسی versione italiana Nederlandse versie wersja polska

The zip file contains PhotoRec which is file data recovery software designed to recover lost files including video, docs & archives from hard disks, CD-ROMs, and lost pictures.

The other program TestDisk is powerful free data recovery software! It was primarily designed to help recover lost partitions and/or make non-booting disks bootable again when these symptoms are caused by faulty software: certain types of viruses or human error (such as accidentally deleting a Partition Table). Partition table recovery using TestDisk is really easy.

B.       System no longer boots up: Since your system no longer boots from the internal HD you’ll need a external boot diagnostics or Test-Live type boot CD.

The following is a listing of boot/rescue CDs with TestDisk on them:
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Livecd
Some popular choices are:  Hiren's BootCD , System Rescue CD , Ultimate Boot CD |

NOTE there are thousands of programs available that can achieve this task.
  You down load the ISO file on a working PC then burn the ISO to CD, boot it in your defective system and navigate to the TestDisk utility.

NOTES ON TESTING YOUR HARD DRIVE WITH A EXTERNAL DIAGNOSTICS OR BOOTABLE LIVE CD
You must set your PC to boot from CD to perform this method of testing

If you have a modern BIOS, i.e., UEFI, you need to set booting to “legacy mode” and arrange order of booting to make your CD your first boot device.
Your system will expect the test CD in the CD drive upon next re-boot to start the procedure.

MICROSOFT SUPPORT METHODS FOR RESCUE CDs

CREATING A Win7 RESCUE CD
If you don't already have one, create a Windows 7 Rescue CD.  Download the relevant ISO from the links below.
Windows 7 32bit
Windows 7 64bit

OPEN SOURCE CD BURNING TOOL
You should use an application such as ImgBurn to burn the ISO to CD - a guide on using ImgBurn to write an ISO to a disc is Here

Once created, or if you already have this, tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook. Insert the Rescue CD. 
Select Boot Options ( usually f9 ).  Use the arrow keys to highlight the CD/DVD drive and hit enter - if prompted to 'Press any key to continue....', do so. 
Select the 'Repair your Computer' option and when the list appears, select the Command Prompt. 
Type in the following command (including spaces where shown) and hit enter to start the process.

chkdsk C: /r

If this works, it will take several hours to complete.  When it has, type exit and hit enter.  Remove the Rescue CD and restart the notebook.

HARD DRIVE REPLACEMENT (for DO IT YOUSELF procedure)
The drive on the link below has an example for replacing a HD.
The procedure to replace the Hard Drive starts on Page 64 of this Maintenance & Service Guide.
Obtain the service manual for your PC if you don’t have it for specifics of your system

Win7 USB Flash Drive Installer
Regarding reinstalling the OS, you can create your own Windows 7 USB flash drive installer as follows.
Before trying the following, make sure you can still read the 25 Character Product Activation key on your Windows COA label ( 5 blocks of 5 alpha/numeric sets ).

An example of a COA Label can be seen Here.

Using another PC - just download the correct Disc Image ( this must be the same version that originally came with your notebook - this is listed as Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ) from the link below - these Images are from a well-respected source ( Digital River ).

Windows-7 sp1-iso-official-32-bit-and-64-bit
When done, use the Microsoft Tool on the following link to create a bootable usb Windows 7 installer - you'll need a 4Gb flash drive for this.

Microsoft Tool
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool
When created, tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to enter the Start-up Menu.  Insert the Windows 7 flash drive.  Select the Boot Options menu ( usually f9 ).  Use the arrow keys to highlight the flash drive and hit enter.

If your notebook will boot from this, use the flash drive to perform the installation, enter the Windows activation key found on the COA Label when requested and when the installation has completed, use the 'Phone Method' detailed in the link below to activate the OS - this method supported by Microsoft and is popular with people who just want a clean installation of Windows 7 without the additional software load normally bundled with OEM installations.

Microsoft'Phone Method' activation Link
http://www.kodyaz.com/articles/how-to-activate-windows-7-by-phone.aspx

Additional drivers and software you may need can be found Here.

Thanks,
Respectfully,
Good Luck!
STeve

HP Recommended

Please refer to this post: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/Hard-disk-Short-DST-test-failed/m-p/4719918#M155331

"***_CAREFUL NOW - THIS RESULT MAY HAVE SOME BELIEVING THEIR HD IS BAD_***

***** D O N'T__B U Y__A N O T H E R__U N T I L__Y O U__T E S T__Y O U R 'S *****"

HP Recommended

Please refer to this post: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/Hard-disk-Short-DST-test-failed/m-p/4719918#M155331

"***_CAREFUL NOW - THIS RESULT MAY HAVE SOME BELIEVING THEIR HD IS BAD_***

***** D O N'T__B U Y__A N O T H E R__U N T I L__Y O U__T E S T__Y O U R 'S *****"

HP Recommended
Will this delete the files saved on my hard disk? will I get an opportunity to back up my 'my music' library?
HP Recommended
Hello, If you still have access to your HD you should consider backing up burning to DVD your library store. There is a possibility the PC will no longer boot sometime after detecting this error. It appears that most persons here have already encountered booting problems - that's why there are here. Once that happens, your PC will need restore maintenance which the built in features may not work. Just a caution to get to work right-o-way! Thanks, STeve
HP Recommended

Hey, I just wanted you to know that your post was the one that actually

got me thinking "outside the box".  Nothing inside was working anymore... something external

was the way to go.  I was not familar with UEFI bios management so it took some horsing until

I located the legacy option so I could boot a diag or repair CD.

Thanks, Hats Off!

Steve

HP Recommended
My hard drive short DST check failed
Failure Id : UBXUHD-71E7LF-MFPWWK-60XH03
PRUDUCT ID F6C44P4#ACJ.
Please tell me what this mean
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Hi there,

I have been have this problem for a while wherein sometimes my laptop freezes. Today, I ran the start up test and it says that Hard DIsk Test has failed. This is what I get. Failure ID: 0U08HW-69U7M6-MFPX0K-60RU03.

PRODUCT ID: C5H32PA#ABG.

Can you please let me know what this means and what should I do to fix the issue?

Thanks

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.