Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
ENVY 15-j059nr Quad Edition No
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop HP ENVY 15-j059nr Quad Edition Notebook PC fails to start. I ran the HP UEFI quick test diagnostics using ESC + f2 on reboot the  hard disk failed the Short DST test with failure code 64NC9H-6TA85K-MFGJWK-60ST03. What does this code mean.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes you can.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

The 24 character error code does confirm a failure of the short Disk Self Test ( DST ) and would indicate that the Hard Drive is failing and needs to be replaced.  This is also consistent with your description of the issue.

If your notebook is still under warranty, contact HP and arrange to have the drive replaced - If needed, you can check your warranty status Here.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

If you are out of warranty and would like a guide on replacing the Hard Drive yourself, please let me know.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

The laptop is out of warranty.  Can you send instructions on replacing the drive and recovering what is on the drive as it has been upgraded from the original Windows 8 to Windows 10.  I do not know what the Windows 10 key is if I have to reinstall it. After I ran the test windows was able to run a repair, however, it freezes during the logon process. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

The drive on the link below is an example of one that would be fine for your notebook.

750Gb Notebook Hard Drive.

The procedure to replace the Hard Drive starts on Page 55 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

Regarding reinstalling the operating system, as long as the previous installation of Windows 10 had activated Ok after the upgrade from 8.1, you can just create installation media and perform a clean installation as detailed in the guide on the following link.  Note: At the activation screen, select 'I don't have a Product key' - Windows will activate automatically once the installation has completed.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

If you need to retrieve personal files etc from the failed drive, one option would be to remove the HDD, place it in an external caddy - an example is on the link below - connect this to another PC and see if you can access your files.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Looking at the manual it looks like the SSD and the HDD are 2 separate components.  Is that the case or is it a single SSHD drive?  If they are separate Do I need to replace both?  Can I install a single 500GB SSD drive?

HP Recommended

Hi,

The 24Gb SSD is a caching drive - you just need to replace the 750Gb mechanical hard drive.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Does it have to be a 750Gb mechanical hard drive?   I do not need that much space.  If I can replace it with a different size capacity can I replace it with a 500Gb solid state drive?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes you can.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.