Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion g7-2054sa Notebook
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have the black screen on start-up saying hard disk failure is imminent. Running the f2 checks says

Hard disk SMART test failed

Failure ID             GLQ3J0-65V838-MFPX0J-60C403

Product ID           B1P45EA#AEU

What does this mean?? I'm also getting messages on Windows 7 that hard disk failure is imminent. What actually is a hard disk failure?

The problems started after system restoring to a previous point (5 days ago) after downloading some updates off the HP website which were identified as relevant, but caused freezes, hence the restore to previous point. Still trying to get some idea of the problem areas. Most things work fine, but Windows Media Player not operating properly is the most obvious fault so far. Plus I bought a new external HD to perform emergency back-up, but it's not being recognised when I plug it in. It is however recognising previously used memory sticks quite happily.

Am I likely to have an actual failure, or is this a false reading because things have not settled back down properly after the system restore?

I'm not technically very advanced - possibly at the limit of my understanding, so simple suggestions/instructions much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for anyone who followed this request. Issue solved - I took it to a local repair shop in the end. While I could probably physically replace the hard drive myself fairly easily, I wanted the confidence of an expert to provide the correct replacement and to also handle the much bigger task of transferring everything over afterwards so that I can resume normal usage with everything where it should be.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

It kind of means what it says. One of the key components of the computer, the hard drive, is getting ready to fail. Parts are smart and as they are dying they send off warning signals which is what you are seeing. What you thought was a problem with updates and the freezing was probably the first signs of the problem and now it is in full-blown failure mode. There is no fix but to replace the drive. It is not as expensive or difficult as you probably fear. Post back and we can walk you through it. It can be done by someone with extremely limited tech skills as long as you know which end of a screwdriver to use. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for quick reply. Before I start thinking about how to do it, can you give some thoughts on what I should be trying to do. It's a 4 year old machine, 1TB hard drive, about 60% full; so far very reliable.

(1) if I replace the HD successfully, do these replacements tend to chunter away just as reliably as the original or do subsequent problems tend to start appearing? Is it simpler to think 4 faithful years so time fot a completely new one?

(2) if I replace the HD, should I try for like-for-like or can I think about something bigger like 1.5TB or 2TB without risking creating problems for other bits becoming overloaded?

(3) not yet sure how easy or quick it would be to find a new HD - are they fairly standard items where different brands/names interchange easily or will I need something fairly specific (which may be more difficult to find)?

(4) what's my best strategy for doing a full back-up to transfer on? Given that brand new external HD not being recognised, is there anything I can do to encourage recognition? My last back-up was 2 weeks ago onto an older external HD was very slow at the time and took up 900GB (which seemed a bit big for 600GB??) and includes system image; I can probably pull off all newer files onto memory sticks, so provided the 2 week old backup is solid without lurking gremlins, I should be able to juggle things reasonably well. But I'd be happier to do a full current backup onto new external HD if possible .... 

HP Recommended

Thanks for anyone who followed this request. Issue solved - I took it to a local repair shop in the end. While I could probably physically replace the hard drive myself fairly easily, I wanted the confidence of an expert to provide the correct replacement and to also handle the much bigger task of transferring everything over afterwards so that I can resume normal usage with everything where it should be.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.