Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion Touch Smart 14-n056sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Before I updated from Win 8 to Win 10 my Hitachi Touro 500gb portable hard drive worked fine to make backup's. Now it won't. It shows in Device Manager and in Backup and Support(windows 7) in Control Panel but in the latter there is a red cross against it and 'Back up now' is greyed out. It will not work at all. Is there any way I can get it to work rather than buy a new one?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Visruth-been a while since you were kind enough to help me with my portable drive that wouldn't work after I downloaded Windows 10. I didn't have any joy at the time but in the latest edition of Computeractive Issue 475 11-24 May on page 70 there are instructions that worked for me.

1) Click Start,type diskmgmt and press Enter

2)Plug in portable drive and take note of its name

3)Right click the white space next to where the Portable drive is listed on the bottom half of the screen

4)Click New Simple Volume to open the Wizard 

5)When the Wizard opens click Next then Next again and choose a drive letter from the dropdown then click Next

6)Choose 'Format this volume with the following settings'

7)Select NTFS from the 'File system' dropdown' then Default from the 'Allocation uniy size' dropdown and tick 'Perform a quick format.

8)Click 'Next' then 'Finish' to format the partion

Once it as finished the drive should appear in File Explorer.

Hope this helps some other folk and thanks once again.

Can recommend ComputerActive--they publish no end of helpful advice.

Longfella

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi

Are you able to see the external drive in This PC?

Is the Portable drive assigned Drive letter through Disk Management? If not, please Add drive letter --> follow this.

Regards

Visruth

HP Recommended

Does it contain prior backups made with Windows 7/8? You might have to format it and do a new backup from Windows 10.

HP Recommended

The drive shows in Device Manager-status says "A Driver(service) for this device has been disabled,An alterative driver may be providing this functionalty (Code 32). Under 'Driver' date is 21/06/2006 version 10.0.10586.0

I cannot see the drive in This PC or Disc Management.

Cheers

Rodders

HP Recommended

Yes,it does contain Win 8 and 8.1 backups. They are the only backup I have but they won't be any use now I have Win 10.

Thanks Huffer

Rodders

HP Recommended

Hi

Please try the "How to Fix a Code 32 Error" section in this useful link.

Regards

Visruth

HP Recommended

Hi Visruth-been a while since you were kind enough to help me with my portable drive that wouldn't work after I downloaded Windows 10. I didn't have any joy at the time but in the latest edition of Computeractive Issue 475 11-24 May on page 70 there are instructions that worked for me.

1) Click Start,type diskmgmt and press Enter

2)Plug in portable drive and take note of its name

3)Right click the white space next to where the Portable drive is listed on the bottom half of the screen

4)Click New Simple Volume to open the Wizard 

5)When the Wizard opens click Next then Next again and choose a drive letter from the dropdown then click Next

6)Choose 'Format this volume with the following settings'

7)Select NTFS from the 'File system' dropdown' then Default from the 'Allocation uniy size' dropdown and tick 'Perform a quick format.

8)Click 'Next' then 'Finish' to format the partion

Once it as finished the drive should appear in File Explorer.

Hope this helps some other folk and thanks once again.

Can recommend ComputerActive--they publish no end of helpful advice.

Longfella

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.