Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Os is Win 7-64

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Found the solution!

Works only when in the taskbar the tap=click is checked AND also in the Synaptics control panel.

Thanks for reply.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi Rappasan,

The enable/disable feature is used by double-tapping in the upper-left corner of the touchpad, where a small orange light lights ups when the touchpad is disabled.

Hope this helps :generic:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am an HP Employee
Click the KUDOS Star to say "Thanks"

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended
Sorry,but that didnt work...
Nö Orange light, no disabling.
HP Recommended

Found the solution!

Works only when in the taskbar the tap=click is checked AND also in the Synaptics control panel.

Thanks for reply.

HP Recommended

I Never would have found that there!!  I also have a Sony Vaio. All I have to do to disable the touchpad function is fn+f1 key.  Never would think to double tap in the upper left hand corner of the touchpad.

HP Recommended

That solution does NOT work. Furthermore, though I can (and do) turn off the touchpad using the Control Panel, it arbitrarily turns itself back on with no warning, usually within 15-20 minutes. Prior to recent Win 8 updates, there was an option to disable the touchpad when a USB mouse was present. I've seen info on editing a registry file, but I have no clue HOW to do that, or if I'll screw up my computer if I do.

The touchpad is outrageously sensitive--don't even have to touch it, when it's enabled just hovering over the surface is enough, and it'll flick the cursor all over the screen .  In order to work on this computer, I HAVE to keep the touchpad disabled.  Too frustrating otherwise.

HOW do I get the touchpad to disable and STAY disabled until/unless I turn it back on? Or, better yet, have it automatically disable itself whenever there is a USB mouse present?

This is a Windows 8 situation, obviously.

HP Recommended

Click on Start, lower right.

Type "mouse" in window

When the mouse window opens, one option is Synaptics.

Click on disable

Done

HP Recommended

Your solution is only a Temperary one. In WIndows 10 on a HP DV7, when you turn your machine back on, tapping is enable again.  In all previous versions of windows your solution works fine.    I read online that you can change the setting in the registy, but the article did not say where to do it.   Does anybody know about this?

HP Recommended

It works! Took a few tries....  but then the very small orange light came on.

Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.