Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 15af131dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently purchased a HP Notebook 15af131dx.  I read the manual and was lead to believe it was upgradeable to 8GB of ram.  I just read a posting that says that the two ram slots are not accessible by the customer.  How then can I upgrade my notebook?  I have already purchased a 8GB ram stick from Crucial.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Based on the HP 15-af131dx Notebook PC Product Specifications and the HP Notebook PC (AMD) / HP 255 G4 Notebook PC - Maintenance and Service Guide, it appears that this model is limited to 1 x 8 GB or 2 x 4 GB. In either case, the maximum memory based on the MSG is 8GB of DDR3L/PC3L, 12800, 1600-MHz . Additionally, removing/replacing the memory module is listed as a "procedure for Authorized Service Providers only". There are as many as 56 screws that must be removed, replaced, or loosened when upgrading the memory on this unit. Please start on page 24 of the MSG and read through page 44 for the full scope of what is required.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

How can it be "upgradable" if it cannot be accessed?  I just purchased a 8GB ram stick from Crucial.  How am I going to upgrade my computer?  The manual seems misleading if it is not possible.

HP Recommended

Based on the HP 15-af131dx Notebook PC Product Specifications and the HP Notebook PC (AMD) / HP 255 G4 Notebook PC - Maintenance and Service Guide, it appears that this model is limited to 1 x 8 GB or 2 x 4 GB. In either case, the maximum memory based on the MSG is 8GB of DDR3L/PC3L, 12800, 1600-MHz . Additionally, removing/replacing the memory module is listed as a "procedure for Authorized Service Providers only". There are as many as 56 screws that must be removed, replaced, or loosened when upgrading the memory on this unit. Please start on page 24 of the MSG and read through page 44 for the full scope of what is required.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

Well it CAN be done but it will put the warranty in jeopardy. Not sure who led you to believe otherwise. This is water under the bridge but for general reference it would be best to understand how you are going to install parts before purchasing. 

Your Manual

HP Recommended

i solved this:

the laptop (AF131dx) accepts up to 8gb ram.

the entire lower plastic piece comes off of the unit.

-everything is screwed on to the keyboard side of the unit.

undo ALL the screws on the bottom of the unit

there are a few screws where the battery compartment as well....

also under the rubber feet are two more screws. only the rubber feet by the battery.

one screw is for the dvd drive. 

slide out the dvd drive

now look at the edges of the keyboard. u will see a hairline crack all the way around the main part of the laptop.

(similar to the old white macbooks)

wedge a old credit card/flathead/guitarpick/etc into the crack gently and go around the entire laptop. (all 4 sides).

the plastic should be off now... the ram slots and hard drive will be right in front of u.

putting back together is simple......just snap the back cover back on and screw it up.

HP Recommended

I have done this and I'm here to tell you the person saying as many as 86 screws doesn't know what they are talking about.  I removed about 10. It was easy.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.