Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Windows 7 32bit OS, no error messages.  The touchpad is ultra sensitive, causing the cursor to jump around the page, and thus making it difficult to type text entry without making multiple mistakes.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi zcbm,

First, make sure you have a good Synaptics Driver.

Here is V15.0.24 from 27 Aug 2010:

Synaptics TouchPad Driver - V15.0.24

There are sensitivity settings within the device software.

Paths that you can use:

Start > search / type "Mouse" > look under "Control Panel" > Mouse > click to open

OR

Control Panel > icon view > Mouse >

From Mouse go to > Synaptics_Logo.png Device Settings > Settings

Once inside settings,

• check PalmCheck settings.  You can restrict the tapping zone.
  • check Pointing.  You can set the sensitivity, momentum, and Edge Motion

I hope this helps you set up the TouchPad more to your liking!

Say “Thanks” for the Help!  Click the Kudos Star whenever you find a Post that helps you.

Mark the Post “Accepted Solution” to say the solution provided worked for you.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I have a similar problem with a new HP Probook 6460b
serial CNU 1384R09
WIndows 7 Professional is installed.

The touchpad is far too sensitive, so that the slightest touch makes the cursor move around. COnsequently, the words I am typing will suddenly jump into some other part of the text or sections of text suddenly get deleted, as the pointer leaps about. I need to adjust sensitivity and/or have the touchpad automatically switch off when I am typing.
The problem is that on the list of devices the touchpad is listed as a PS/2 compatible MOUSE, not as a touchpad. The hardware is listed as a "PS/2 compatible mouse", provided by Microsoft.

The drivers are i8042prt.sys and mouclass.sys
There is no option of modifying the touchpad sensitivity or disabling it when I am typing.
The button options are: switch primary and secondary buttons, double click speed and click lock.
The pointer options are: motion (pointer speed), Snap to, Visibility, Hide pointer while typing (tried that already), and Show location when press control key.
If it is any help, I never use the facility of tapping the touchpad to click - I always use the click buttons - so disabling the click function would not be a problem (if I could find a way to do it).

Any solutions?

HP Recommended

Rbensted,

Sounds frustrating!

EDITS    =================================================================  

I pulled this driver for you from your computer's website.

Synaptics TouchPad sp54906 V15.3.25

• NOTE the name and the location - the *.exe file will likely save to "Downloads “Install the Software / Driver installation package:  It will be named *.exe – the package will most likely be located in the Downloads folder.  If you have ‘Admin’ control, you may highlight the package and “double-click” to install it, else Right-Click, Select ‘run as Administrator’ and install.

Software and Drivers Download Center for your system:

HP ProBook 6460b Notebook PC

You can also download manuals (see the left column), other software, and ask questions (use keywords) about your system at the website.

=====================================================================================

I hope this helps.  Once you get the software downloaded, you might be able to adjust the sensitivity level similar to the steps shown in my previous post.  

If this all falls apart, come back - there will be another way to deal with it.

It is my pleasure to assist.

Say “Thanks!” for the Help by clicking the Kudos Star to show your appreciation.

Fixed?  Mark this Post “Accept as Solution” to help others find the answers.

Note: You can find “Accept as Solution” only on threads started by you.

Good Fortune!  Year of the Dragon!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended
This works fine - many thanks!! Very much appreciated.
HP Recommended

Dragon-fur,

I have the same problem as the first writer.  installed the synaptics touchpad driver and was able to adjust the sensitivity of both the touchpoint and the touchpad to where they work nearly flawlessly, while allowing me to type normally. Thank you.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.