Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

How do I find out what temperatures my Envy 17.3 computer is operating at?

I do not see anything in the manual about "temperature"

Do I have to obtain outside software to find out what temperature my notebook is operating at?

If yes, what is recommended?

Knowing that heat can damage the computer you would believe that a guage to monitor it's temperature is on the computer somewhere.

If it has one, I cannot locate it.

Can someone tell me where it is?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi

Speccy is a good software to know the temperature

According to the HP ENVY 17 Notebook PC HP ENVY TouchSmart m7 Notebook PC HP ENVY TouchSmart 17 Notebook PC - Mainten...,

Go through Page 103:

Temperature -
Operating:              5°C to 35°C
Nonoperating:  -20°C to 60°C

This will help  to start with resolving overheating issues: Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating

Regards,

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi

Speccy is a good software to know the temperature

According to the HP ENVY 17 Notebook PC HP ENVY TouchSmart m7 Notebook PC HP ENVY TouchSmart 17 Notebook PC - Mainten...,

Go through Page 103:

Temperature -
Operating:              5°C to 35°C
Nonoperating:  -20°C to 60°C

This will help  to start with resolving overheating issues: Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating

Regards,

HP Recommended

I accept Visruth response as a solution.

Other programs that provide this information are also welcome as there may also be other solutions to this problem.

Thus... Kudos to Visruth.

In a 75 degree home, and not working hard, my cpu temps were 35-39oC.

Above Recommended Temperatures per the HP manual which states maximum temperature of 35oC.

I did NOT hear or believe cooling fan had yet turned on.

Although, I have heard it turn on when room temperatures do get higher than 75oF.  (i.e.79oF)

Should it have?

Note:  My computer is running fine.

These are problem prevention questions.

HP Recommended

Laptop cooling fan would always be on.
It will not however always be at the same RPM depending on your fan controller. You have listen to the sound in a quite room sometimes.

If fan is not running, it could be due to:
- fan may be dead, it saddly happens as the things age
- It may simply just be dirty, hair and dust will drastically impeed the fan , thereby cause overheating in hardware - CPU, GPU mainly,
Pet hair and dust will wrap around the bearing (or the blades themselves depending on the fan design). This will cause very intermitant fan performance. First thing to do is get in there and clean it with a good dose of compressed air.
- The power connection improperly connected

Fan gets noisier also as overheating can't be tolerated by the spin, which is not your issue.

35-39°C is perfectly stable temp, Normally - Intel processors can be stable upto 60°C & AMD upto 80°C & may not cause any issues at all, these can vary though

You've to worry only if there are considerable performance issues and overheating felt- through air vent, on the back cover of laptop etc.

There are several applications like HWinfo64, HWMonitor, RealTemp, CoreTemp,
But none of them are fool-proof, they'll send out incorrect readings sometimes,
I like Speccy - they are good among the lot.

Regard,
HP Recommended

My fan always seems to be running as with a tissue, I can see the gently flow of air.

There is no sound at this fan speed.

Occasionally when it is warmer in the house, it kicks up to a high, noisy speed.

Actually sounds very rough, to rough.

I have not noticed any intermediate fan speeds.

Should there be?

My computer has i7 4700MQ quad processors.

I am in Yuma AZ were temps can get hot.

Perhaps, I should have purchased with AMD processors.

Nothing was ever said in HP manual about AMD processors being "tougher" or more "tolerant" to high heat situations.

THE HP MANUAL(S) SHOULD STATE THINGS LIKE THAT TO INFORM THEIR CUSTOMERS.

I have had a few HP computers. 

This is the 1st with intel processors having always had AMD previously and I had no reasons to change other than to not show @#$% bias.... lol.  My mistake for trying to be politically correct.

Perhaps I should have stayed with AMD if only for my location heat reasons.

In this part of the country, experience tells one to consider heat when purchasing a product from computers to automobiles.

HP Recommended

These can't be told or determined by any manufacturer.
The processor company will have their own specs page & maximum operating temperatures.

What I have told you is a computer operating temp & can't be taken as final to a specific brand or model type of processor.
Processor temp can vary very much, the environment temperature also decides the overheating to an extent, so the varying range would be huge if it is to be written in manuals & published too.

These things you could google or browse through processor sites or other popular forums like sevenforums, eightforums, pchelpforum etc.

Related: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/220743-cpu-stress-test-using-intelburntest.html

HP Recommended

Most of the replies,including the first one here, do not answer the question, "how do I determine the temperature?"  The answers mostly include the specified working range.  

Does anyone know how to find the actual temperature at any given moment?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.