Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

RIght now I have to depress the FN key in order to use any of the "Action" keys, where the default behavior are as Function keys. I would like to swap that so that I press the FN key to enable F1-12, much like a Mac. Unlike other HP laptops, however, there is no option in the BIOS to change this behavior, at least not that I can divine or matches the most often referenced documentation. 

If anyone can help, I would be deeply grateful. 

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

As I indicated in my initial post, I do not have the settings in my BIOS that are called for in the document you linked. 

HP Recommended
check if the Bios is updated to the latest release.. Also you can install HP Hotkey software and se if it helps.... http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...
HP Recommended

The BIOS is up to date and the HP Hotkey software is installed and up to date. I bought this laptop at Microcenter in LA and it came with licensed versions of both Windows 7 Pro and Windows 8 Pro. I have the latter installed and it is fully patched both through Windows Update and the HP Support Assistant. I also installed all drivers and applications provided on the companion DVD. I have loaded the BIOS in both Guest and Admin modes, and the Guest mode has more options. 

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue.  Any resolution?  I could do this easilly on my Dell Inspiron 15R

HP Recommended

Hello DepartmentQ.

Try the following.

1. Reboot your computer and press F10 until the BIOS loads.  
  2. Navigate to the System Configuration screen.
  3. Change the setting for "Action Key Mode."
  4. Navigate to the Exit section and save your changes.
  5. Verify whether this resolves your question.

Have a great day!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

Hello !

I have, also, the same issue.

I have installed the latest drivers, and bios is updated to the latest version.

I am using an probook 4540s with Windows7_Pro.

Thank you !

HP Recommended
I should have responded to this much earlier. I am sorry. After trying to find a solution online, I called HP technical support and opened a support ticket. After tolerating the expectedly useless Tier-1 & 2 representatives, I spoke to a Tier-3 engineer on the phone.

He explained to me that there is no software utility to set this and that the BIOS does not have this feature. This is specific to the 4540s for some reason and could not offer a reason.

I personally find this to be a real issue. The "F" keys can be considered vestigial limbs now, since they are almost NEVER used, and yet HP still finds it necessary to make the Function keys the default.

Step up, HP, and offer a utility to allow users to select the default behavior of the function keys, and do it fast. Since you already have versions for other models in the same line, it shouldn't be all that hard.
HP Recommended

I agree completely.  Should be a simple toggle to change the Function keys from F1-12 to Special Actions and reverse.  The action keys are made to be convenient, but finding the Fn key and then the mute, while watching a movie in the dark is anything but convenient.  And holding the Fn key while trying to hit a volume up or screen brightness button is nearly impossible one-handed.  Terrible user interface design.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.