Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

How do i start a Elitebook 8440p in safe mode?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Shut down the notebook.  Tap away at f8 as soon as you press the power button to launch Windows Recovery Console.  Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode and hit enter.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

When upgrading to windows 10 all was fine but the HP Protecttools screen popped everytime I started up  so I decided to go ahead and activate it with a password on it.  I rebooted and the unit now flickers prior to finishing the windows boot.   The f8 button does nothing.   I can hit the esc button and go to diagnostics / boot setup menus.  

Can I restart to my original state before installing HP protecttools?

@DavidPK wrote:

Hi,

Shut down the notebook.  Tap away at f8 as soon as you press the power button to launch Windows Recovery Console.  Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode and hit enter.

Regards,

DP-K

HP Recommended

I have the same problem and I can't get the F8 to work as soon as I hit the power button. I went into the BIOS and set a 5 sec delay, but no luck. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.