Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I forgot my password that  I used  onmy new computer while setting it up.   Do I need to rebot to the factory settings?  I haven't had a chance to upload files to my  computer so there is nothing to lose.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The password that I need to change is for the computer.  I did change my password on my windows account which had no effect on unlocking the new laptop.  I just bought it from Costco in Kanata.  The number on the receipt is 17-K273ca.  It is probably a product that is on ly sold by Costco.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hello cmdesign,

When asking for help, please include the model number of the product in question.

Are you talking about your User Account password?

If so, you can certainly reset windows back to factory but you can also change your password if you have access to another computer to create a Live Disk or bootable USB drive.

There are lots of programs out there that can create a live disk to change the password with if you Google it.

I like Lazesoft because it will create the live usb drive for you too and is easy to use.

Offline NT Password is another program that will do it.

If you need more help, I can PM you directly.

Let me know.

HP Recommended

The password that I need to change is for the computer.  I did change my password on my windows account which had no effect on unlocking the new laptop.  I just bought it from Costco in Kanata.  The number on the receipt is 17-K273ca.  It is probably a product that is on ly sold by Costco.

HP Recommended

So you found the solution? Since you marked your own answer as the solution I assume you are done.

Thats why I asked which password you are talking about. If it was the user account, I tried to answer that ahead of time. "For the computer" tells me nothing.

If you are talking about the Bios - Power On Password at startup, that is different.

Costco does not setup the power on password before you purchase the computer unless you bought the display model and they forgot to remove the password.

Typically, when you enter the wrong power on pw 3 times, it will give you a code. Write it down and post it here so we can search for the unlock code.

Otherwise, I will assume you are taking it back to Costco for a replacement as a new laptop should not have been tampered with.

Here is more info about the bios password on page 35 of the Envy K-273ca user manual.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04510423

HP Recommended
I went in and tried to remove the password login for my HP envy laptop and in doing so it won't let me get in at all. How do I fix this?
HP Recommended
My code is 56742924 help please
HP Recommended
what is the code for this ? 56742924?
HP Recommended
https://www.bios-pw.org/

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
HP Recommended

I have a similar problem. I set up my hp Envy,  model 3165 NGW, and then used a different computer for a couple months. I now can't remember my password. I think it's the BIOS password; I can't get past the screen saver without it.  Please help! 🙂

HP Recommended
Hi, my code is 77037568 can anyone help
Thanks in advance
I own Hp Envy 17 and the Bios Hp uses (insyde) has extremely limited options and I would like to change things in bios including to disable the Nvidia card because its causing conflicts for the OS I am trying to install.Because of this stupid bios HP installs on consumer laptops I am resorting to disassembling my new laptop (voiding my warranty) and try to physically disable the card.I am posting this to voice how this bios is a very stupid move from HP and to show HP what the limited bios is making us resort to… and also to say I am NEVER going to buy an HP product again (recommending my friends also not to) just because of this Bios…
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.