Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-ac121dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to upgrade the ram in my HP Notebook - 15-ac121dx, and maybe the hard drive, but I cannot figure out how to access the ram. There is no access panel, and unlike some other models, it doesnt have a simple lever in battery bay to pull off the cover. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK, I figured out how to get the bottom on the laptop off.  After watching some youtube videos I came across another HP laptop that had screws under the rubber feet and of course there are also screws under the rear two rubber feet, can't believe I didn't think of looking under them.  

So to get the bottom you need to:

1. Take out all the screws on the bottom.  (Should be 12 total)
  2. Pull out the DVD drive (Yes it does come out).
  3. Finally, carefully pull apart the case around the side.

After that you should have complete access to the hard drive and RAM slots.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I too would like to know how to get this cover off so I can access the RAM and Hard Drive.  I can get all but the back (closest to the screen) part to come apart.  Can't figure out why the back wont come apart and I'm afraid that if I try to pull it apart any harder something is going to break.  If anyone know what the trick is please let us know.  Thanks

HP Recommended

OK, I figured out how to get the bottom on the laptop off.  After watching some youtube videos I came across another HP laptop that had screws under the rubber feet and of course there are also screws under the rear two rubber feet, can't believe I didn't think of looking under them.  

So to get the bottom you need to:

1. Take out all the screws on the bottom.  (Should be 12 total)
  2. Pull out the DVD drive (Yes it does come out).
  3. Finally, carefully pull apart the case around the side.

After that you should have complete access to the hard drive and RAM slots.

HP Recommended

This is a real pain. When I bought this machine, it never occurred to me to look at the bottom. What was HP thinking? Most laptops have a panel that's easy to remove for access to RAM. 

I want to upgrade the RAM to 8G, so I guess I'll have to hassle with it. Removing the DVD drive is really annoying! Otherwise, I like the machine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.