07-26-2012 11:07 AM - edited 08-09-2012 06:47 PM
How to add a 2nd hard drive to HP Pavilion DV7-3165DX, product # WA794UA or WA794UAR.
(1) Order HDD, hard drive, hardware kit. HDD hardware kit includes mounting rails, static shield, screws, rubber isolators, and SATA to motherboard cable. Check your model & Product # for compatibility.
HP Parts HDD hardware kit 517639-001 for DV7-3165DX product# WA794UA and WA794UAR.
(2) Consult Drives - Windows 7 PDF, table of contents, 7 Replacing a drive in the secondary hard drive bay. This will show you how to install a 2nd HDD in a HP DV7.
(3) In Windows 7 select Computer, Select the HDD installed, Format (if not already formatted).
(4) If HDD does not show up in Windows 7 under Computer, go to Start (Menu), Search Programs and Files, enter "Computer Management", select Storage, Disk Management (Local), look for the Bay 2 HDD (should show up as Disc 1, Bay 1 HDD should show as Disc 0), Format the 2nd HDD (The one you just installed).
Update: I have the 2nd HDD (WD 1TB) installed, Windows now recognises it after completing the steps I mentioned in step 4, Format with default allocation NTFS 931.51GB free, 118MB used for formatting. Format with default allocation exFAT 931.51GB free, 1MB used for formatting. I selected NTFS format to reduce file fragmenting.
Solved! View Solution.
How to add a 2nd hard drie to HP Pavilion DV7!
07-26-2012 11:10 AM
08-07-2012 01:10 PM
Update. Have both 1TB drives installed and working well.
HP Parts hard drive hardware kit 517639-001 $67.34 (includes tax & shipping)
WD Scorpio Blue 2.5 in SATA HD model# WD10JPVT-00A1YT0. $106.99 & $97.95 (Best Buy purchased at different stores.)
Bay 11TB: NTFS default HP recovery; 884GB free, 28.6GB used, Recovery disc 18.2GB, HP tools 98.7.
Bay2 1TB: 931.51GB free, 118MB format.
08-09-2012 10:07 AM
When i added my 2nd HDD I was ready to get it ordered and shipped, so it would arrive before I arrived home. I also was not sure if it would be offered anywhere else and be 100% compatible. The quality of the factory HP part is good. Since then I found a cheeper source. Newmodeus DV7-3xxx Hard Drive Caddy $27.95 +tax +shipping. Not sure if the quality is the same. If this helps you, post your results and kudos.
- HP Notebook PCs - Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating
- Computer Does Not Start and the LEDs Blink or the Computer Beeps
- Performing a Hard Reset or Forced Reset
- HP PCs - Improving Slow System Performance and Maintaining Your Computer (Windows 10)
- HP PCs – Resolving Slow System Performance (Windows 8)