Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am using HP xb4 Notebook Media Docking Station P/N:   KG461AA#ABG with my HP Pavilion dv7-1019tx notebook and have found it to be very useful.

I, now, want to connect this docking station to my HP Notebook  ENVY 17 - k218tx   P/N: L2Z84PA but I do not see any port on the notebook to connect it to the xb4 Media Docking Station.  I would appreciate if someone can help to resolve this problem.  If any adapter / accessory is required, please advise its details and where can it be bought.    

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Your old machine has a docking/Expansion Port 3:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c01509066

dv7.png

and your new machine does NOT have this port.

The manual (page 1-1) says

Compatability
  The docking station is compatible with all HP and Compaq notebooks having a USB 2.0 port.

Source:    http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01576968.pdf

But it only has very little usage as mentioned on page 26 of the following manual:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01621869.pdf

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi, 

My sincere thanks for your prompt response to my post. I am waiting for the required cable - which is not available until next week - to try connecting the docking station to my ENVY notebook.  Once I have been able to complete the task, I will comment further; in the meantime, I am once again grateful for your prompt response. 

Kind regards and best wishes:

HP Recommended

1. Ref my earlier comment dated May 8, 2016, I have tried to connect the xb4 Notebook Media Docking Station to my HP ENVY 17-k218tx as suggested but it did not work.  Since HP ENVY 17 notebook has USB 3 ports, will that be a reason for failure of connection? If so, then is there a solution for it?

2.  If xb4 Notebook Media Docking Station is compatible with USB 2 only, and if there is no solution to point number 1 above, then perhaps this particular Docking Station is useless for  HP ENVY 17.

3.  In the absence of Expansion Port 3 in the HP ENVY 17, is there any cable / device with Expansion port 3 replicated on one end and USB or any other connection on the other end (to suit ports available on HP ENVY 17 notebook) so that the xb4 Docking Station can be connected to the replicated Expansion 3 of the cable at one end and to the HP ENVY 17 notebook on the other end.  Is it possible to source such a cable and if so, how / from where?

I am not a computer tech or expert but have only made above observations as a novice to explore the possibility of using these two because xb4 Docking Station is a wonderful accessory and it is a pity that Expansion Port 3 has not been seen in the HP notebooks for quite a while now.  I would appreciate any input to help me out.  Thanks.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.