Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My HP Pavillion g6-2210us notebook PC (Windows 😎 has 2 USB 3.0 ports and 1 USB 2.0 port.  How can I identify the USB 3.0 ports? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes SS means Super Speed

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Usually the plastic thing in the middle of the port is a different color like blue.

HP Recommended

I did some searching for an answer on the web and found mention elsewhere of the color distinction you mentioined.  But, I can't see a difference in the color.  I'm not saying there is no difference.  I'm saying that, unless I saw a 3.0 port and a 2.0 port next to each other, I can't visually detect a difference in color. 

However, I have noticed something else which I suspect may be the clue.  The USB symbol imprinted next to the two ports on the left side of the computer is different from the standard USB symbol seen on all computers in recent years from the symbol next to the one port on the right side.  The symbol on the left appears to include the old standard symbol but has what looks like "SS" below it.  Can someone confirm that this symbol indicates the  two ports on the left are the USB 3.0 ports? 

HP Recommended

Yes SS means Super Speed

HP Recommended

Thanks.  I would have guessed SS means Super Speed but glad to have the confirmation.

HP Recommended

I have an HP Pavilion dv7-6c95dx.  It has two USB ports on the left side of the laptop and two USB ports on the right side.  They are all black in color.  But only the two on the left side have an SS designation next to the USB symbol, underneath the ports. I take it from your forum entry that these Super Speed (SS) ports are the USB-3 ports.  (It still is taking a long time (6-8 hours) to back up the laptop even with these USB-3 connections. Admittedly, 318 GB is a lot to back up. I thought I may have been using the USB-2 ports.) The other two USB ports on the right side must be the USB-2 ports that come with this model.  The HP on-line user manual did NOT identify which of these ports were the 2 or 3 type or offer the SS explanation.... Thanks much for your help.

HP Recommended

Besides the initials "SS" net to the Superspeed USB 3.0 portals, the portals on my HP Envy tower are black in color (inside the portal) if they ARE NOT superspeed and blue in color if they ARE superspeed.

HP Recommended

I have Zoostorm 7200=0095 desk to connected to HP 3055 printer.. Which USB (2 or £ should i use from the desktop

to printer and how are the ports   differentiated. Any advice please.

Brumus

HP Recommended

How they are differentiated was discussed in the previous posts in this discussion thread.   By reading them, you should be able to identify your USB ports.

Connecting the printer to a USB 2.0 port is the procedure stated in the manual.  Ref: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00495173

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.