Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY dv4-5202tx
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

My laptop model is HP ENVY dv4-5202tx and running a Windows 8 OS. Each one of the F1 to F12 keys have an action key assigned (e.g. play/pause, volume up, volume down etc.) except the F5 key, which is blank. Despite this, in order to use the F5 key to refresh, I still have to press fn+F5, and just pressing the F5 key alone produces absolutely nothing since there is no action that correlates to the F5 key.

I know that I can reverse the action key functionality via the BIOS, but I don't want this - I just want the F5 key to work as a refresh while retaining the others as action keys. This seems to be a function for other notebook models that are still able to use the F5 key as a refresh even with action keys enabled so I have no idea why it's not working for my computer specifically.

Basically, I would like to know if there is a way to make the F5 key alone act as a refresh without having to press fn+F5, while still keeping the function of the other action keys?

So far, I have tried:

1. Disabling and re-enabling the action keys in the BIOS.

2. Autohotkey - I have not managed to get this to work as autohotkey does not register the fn key or the F5 'blank action key' on the keyboard and so it cannot be remapped.

3. Uninstalling the keyboard/keyboard driver.

4. Updating the driver software - the F5 key still does not register and I still need to use fn+F5 for refresh.

I have been googling solutions all night to no avail and have only resorted to asking my own question as a last resort, and would really appreciate any help anyone could give. Thanks in advance!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi, I just got a new laptop, and I am currently in the same scenario as you.  Did you figure this all out, if so what is the answer to this?  My previous laptop refreshed by just pressing F5, and volume was controlled by one key each (up/down/mute).  It's honestly such a pain to change these habits after they've been used for years, and using one hand/finger is much more convenient.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.