Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

so when you say "but the hard drive must be the same and have the same partitions on it ." what do you mean they must be the same? Like they must contain the same partitions as the computer im trying to use the install disc on right? So as long as I use the recovery disc that I made from the recovery manager on the same computer with the new ssd it will be ok? Sorry i got confused so just wanna make sure, sorry for all the questions I can tell your annoyed.

HP Recommended

Hi KINGxENVY,

If you are installing a new hard drive and using the recovery disks the size does not matter as long as it is recognized in the bios.

If you were trying to do a recovery on the original drive using the recovery manager, not the recovery disk the partition on that drive would need to be the same as it came from the factory.

With a new hard drive and using the recovery disks, this is not a concern.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Thanks and when you say the new ssd needs to be recognized by the bios, If the drive is new there shouldnt be a problem recognizing right? Or does the computer not recognize all SSD

HP Recommended

Hi KINGxENVY,

Once you have the drive installed and connected, if you power on and go to the bios does it show your hard drive?

That is what I mean by recognition.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hi there

I would like to know if replacing my hard drive with a SSD will void my warranty?

Thanks

Stephen

HP Recommended

Good Morning @SteveBethke, 

Welcome to the HP Forums!:smileyhappy:

It is a terrific place to find answers.
For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide Learn How to Post and More

If you install a drive that is not a recommended one listed in your maintenance and service guide, I am unsure about how it will affect your warranty.  To get support they may require you to install a recommended drive.

I suggest contacting HP support for clarification of this.

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside of the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. Phone Assist Worldwide

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

"If you install a drive that is not a recommended one listed in your maintenance and service guide, I am unsure about how it will affect your warranty.  To get support they may require you to install a recommended drive."

To receive warranty service, such as returning the machine to "the factory," the U.S. distribution center, or an authorized HP service and repair center, you will have to remove your aftermarket SSD and replace it with the original HDD.  HP will only service the machine with original or authorized (recommended) parts installed. 

RAM is probably an exception to the rule, but I don't know what exceptions HP makes.

Ask an authorized HP service and repair center for the official and final word.

HP Recommended

Hello! Thanks for the tutorial. 

I have a question now... I have a Pavilion g6-1031EG. Just bought a new SSD (Sandisk Ultra II) and when trying to install Windows, I get an error message. It is related to the fact that the BIOS is locked and I cannot change the HD settings to AHCI. 

The question is... If I install a new instance of Windows in my old HD, then I clone it to my new SSD, and install the SSD in my laptop... Will it work? Or will I still have the same issue as the problem is with the BIOS? 

Thank you in advance for your help. 

HP Recommended

Will the Samsung 840 EVO work on a DV7T-4100 CTO?

HP Recommended

HI @xcelldriver,

Welcome to the HP Forums!:smileyhappy:

It is a terrific place to find answers.
For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide Learn How to Post and More

Here is a link to the maintenance and service guide for your notebook.

HP Pavilion dv7 Entertainment PC Maintenance and Service Guide

Please note chapter 4 page 4 for a  listed of recommended drives.  If the drive is not recommended it does not mean that it will not work only that the result is unknown.

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.