Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

If you notebook is pretty recent that should not be an issue. The operating system license activation keys are stored and coded into the BIOS. After the install when you go online, the OS should activate itself. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

"...keys are stored and coded into the BIOS."

Thank you very much. That's good to know. So...

1) I perform a clean install from a Windows 8 DVD.

2) The Windows installation requires a Product Key.

3) I type the Key from my original DVD, which is already in use elsewhere.

4) As soon as I go online,
    a) I bring down the wrath of M$ Legal on my head. or (preferred)
    b) My DVD Product Key is overwritten with the BIOS Product Key.

So everything is automatic, and I have nothing to worry about?

How can I verify that the Product Key and the Activation Code have
been recovered from the BIOS?

HP Recommended

Download a free copy of Belarc Advisor, install it, and run it.
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Click "Software Licenses" on the left side of the results page.

If the MS Product Key has been overwritten by Adobe Media Center

or the like, you will need to uninstall the Adobe Media software first.

HP Recommended

@gospelmidi wrote:

"...keys are stored and coded into the BIOS."

Thank you very much. That's good to know. So...

1) I perform a clean install from a Windows 8 DVD.

2) The Windows installation requires a Product Key.

3) I type the Key from my original DVD, which is already in use elsewhere. 

4) As soon as I go online,
    a) I bring down the wrath of M$ Legal on my head. or (preferred)
    b) My DVD Product Key is overwritten with the BIOS Product Key.

So everything is automatic, and I have nothing to worry about?

How can I verify that the Product Key and the Activation Code have
been recovered from the BIOS?

I said nothing about typing anything in. The key to the OS that was delivered with your notebook's operating system is already in the BIOS.

Why have you chosen to go this route instead of the simple method I suggested in the first post in this thread? Cloning from the original disk to an SSD is so much less problematic and less time consuming.

The Windows license key will not have been overwritted by some Adobe product's key as the previous member suggested. Firmware is not software and there is a major difference. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I have the hp 15-p144na and am fittng a RunCore 128GB ( Sorry bad first post see next one please!)

HP Recommended

I have the hp p-144na and am fitting a RunCore 128GB SSD.   I removed 10 screws from the base and 1 from the battery bay. I pried away the top part all along the front edge and about 66% down each side towards the rear.  Along the back edge and sides the lid is still fixed tight so I stopped as there must be more screws that I cannot see.  There are 2 rectangular rubber feet at the back and I expect there may be screws underneath them.  Are these rubber feet removable?  Anybody got instructions, example diagram, video, or technical contact for this particular model?

Thank you

HP Recommended

Hi @computaquark 

I grasp you are replacing the hard drive and would like some guidance with the removal and replacement.

Here is a link to  HP Pavilion 17 Notebook PC HP Pavilion 15Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide.

Please note Chapter 6 page 94 for guidance.

Best of Luck !

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Okay i have fitted ssd.  I tried to use Recovery Manager as a way to put original hp OS on ssd but after 50% get Hp recovery manager failed Error code=0xEFFFFF23.  Could you tell me about the afore mentioned error code.

Thank you

HP Recommended

Hi @computaquark 

Thank you for your reply and I am glad you were able to install the new hard drive.

I regret that when you tried to do the recovery you received an error.

Here is a link to   Troubleshooting HP System Recovery Problems (Windows 😎 that may help.

Here is another  link that may also help.

How to Install an SSD (Solid State Drive)

If you believe the  recovery disk  is corrupt, you should contact HP support and advise them.  They will be able to provide any options for you to obtain new ones.

Please call our technical support at 800 474 6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get a support number for your region.

World Wide Phone Support

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Thank you for replying.  I am now halfway through installing win7 somI know the hard drive upgrade was successful.  Must be a recovery media issue.  I have the original Hard Drive so I may try to clone that across then make a windows image rather to pay for recovery media.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.