Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
yes i did remove the partition prior to knowing what it was.
HP Recommended

I have about 150 8460p Ellitebooks to flash the bios from F08 > F20 or F22 So the smart card reader will show in the bios, so we can uncheck the power save option IN THE bios and check always on so our custom image will install the drivers for the smart card... is there a step by step on what to do and where to get everything I need. Please talk to me like I am 8 years old. I have been in the computer industry for over 40 years and have never found such a mish-mash of information and confussion.

HP Recommended

@LA1IMPALA wrote:

I have about 150 8460p Ellitebooks to flash the bios from F08 > F20 or F22 So the smart card reader will show in the bios, so we can uncheck the power save option IN THE bios and check always on so our custom image will install the drivers for the smart card... is there a step by step on what to do and where to get everything I need. Please talk to me like I am 8 years old. I have been in the computer industry for over 40 years and have never found such a mish-mash of information and confussion.

First you need to install this update, It may or may not be installed already, install it just to be sure.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

It says bios update but it does not update the bios on the system board, but really updates the HP_Tools  partition, which is part of the UEFI bios, this update insures a bios flash success and a method to roll back if the bios flash fails for any reason, this is a critical update BEFORE you flash to F22. 

If the HP_TOOLS partition has been removed it will not install successfully, I would not flash the bios to F22 on any notebook without the HP_TOOLS partition. The F22 exe may have the option to make a bootable flash drive that can be used to flash the bios, once the bootable flash drive is made, you can insert it into a usb port, power up the notebook and press and hold F9 to get the boot device menu, choose the flash drive and hit enter, the flash will now take place, do not interrupt the process or use the keyboard or mouse while it is flashing and restarting, this is the method to use if the HP_TOOLS partition is missing.

Once the first update has been installed, just download F22 to a flash drive, copy the exe bios file from the flash drive to the desktop of each PC and execute it, it will request the PC to restart, once you execute the bios exe file do not touch the keyboard or mouse unless requested to, when it restarts it will then flash the bios from the HP_TOOLS partition outside of Windows, so once it restarts do not touch the mouse and keyboard until it restarts again and you get Windows loading and a logon screen. Flash is complete and you are done.

HP Recommended

thanks for your fast reply.  is there a way to flash independent of the OS . I downloaded from the support web site

sp54772.exe for F20 and SP55676.exe for F22. I followed the instructions and made a bootable flash drive. I booted to the flash drive and started the program, the program said if I had an Intel processor with theft detection ,which this does, to NOT flash and instead use HPQFLASH, what I would like to do is flash from the bios option to flash the BIOS. It says  under "update the system bios"  place the system bios and signature file on a fat32 partition either on the system hard drive or a removable USB KEY under the "hewlett-packard"\bios\new" folder

add or verify the hp bios update utility (HPBiosupdate.efi) and signature file are booted on the same fat32 partition under the following folder path "Hewlett-Packard\bios\update"  I would like to do the bios update from the bios, it would be too impractical to boot up each computer and let it go through it's set up

HP Recommended

I am a user just like you and it appears you have more knowledge about this than me, is there a reason you don't want to flash from a usb key? 

HP Recommended

not trying to be nasty, but I am NOT a user like you, I am a tech that has to roll out hundreds of these notebooks. If you are talking about going to hp support and entering in 8460p and clicking the ellitebook 8460p , selecting the os, then going to the drivers page and selecting bios, downloading the exe, create the flash drive, it does not work, the program states that if I have an intel processor w/ theft detection i need to exit the program now w/o flashing....if you know another way , i want to know,  in the bios on these notebooks it clearly states ...upgrade bios  ...i want to use that.

HP Recommended

yes you are being nasty, I was just letting you know I don't work for HP and have no expertise on this particular model or brand, good luck with your project, by the way I have rolled out 100's of PC's, just not HP's.

HP Recommended

I believe I found what I need,  this may work...on the ellitebook in the bios on the main page it says "update the bios"

I downloaded this app sp52509.exe   from here  http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

you run the program and it allows you to create the bios updater on a flash drive . I think this is what Mumbodog was trying to tell me earlier....well it's the end of the day will try flashing tomorrow when I come in.

HP Recommended

Not exactly.   This is the UEFI BIOS Update Application. 

That said, the HP BIOS SoftPAQ for the products you are updating has an option you can select to create a bootable USB key.  This only true for HP Business Notebooks.   Look on the product page for the notebooks you are updating.  

I work on behalf of HP.

Click on Kudos if you like the response.
HP Recommended

You can also use the built in UEFI BIOS Update capability or install HP UEFI BIOS Update on a USB key.   If you use this method you need the BIOS binary and signiture file.   Use the instructions below for this method:

BIOS management using system diagnostics

1. Download the SoftPaq from the HP Web site.

NOTE: Verify that the UEFI system diagnostics is installed on your computer (or USB flash

drive).

2. Click Run, and then click Cancel at the Update/USB bootable dialog box.

3. Navigate to the folder located in c:\swsetup that corresponds to your SoftPaq number.

4. Locate the .bin file in the Rompaq folder (for example, 68CDD.bin) and then copy it to the

Hewlett-Packard\BIOS\New\ folder in either the HP_Tools partition of the hard drive, or the USB

flash drive.

5. Locate the .sig file in the ROM.cab file and rename it with the same prefix as the .bin file (for

example, 68CDD.sig). Copy the renamed file to the Hewlett-Packard\BIOS\New\ folder in either

the HP_Tools partition of the hard drive, or the USB flash drive.

6. Restart the computer, and then press esc while the “Press the ESC key for Startup Menu”

message is displayed at the bottom of the screen.

7. Press f2 to enter Computer Setup.

8. Click BIOS Management from the menu and then select Update BIOS.

I work on behalf of HP.

Click on Kudos if you like the response.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.