Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

how do I recover BIOS when corrupted and laptop hangs with 2 bleep code?

i have a CQ61-310S, and have tried the windows + B button procedure with a usb stick formatted FAT32 and various BIOS versions renamed 363F.bin copied to the stick root?

after various beeps the laptop just hangs once more.

plse help 

HP Recommended

Here are the steps:

1. Download the latest BIOS udpate for your model from HP.com

2. Launch the SoftPAQ, then cancel it.   All you want is the binaries to unpack.

3. Go to C:\SPSetup\SPxxxxxx for the SP number you just launched.

4. Format a USB key and name the key HP_TOOLS

5. Copy the *.bin and *.sig files to a USB key under a folder you create with the path:

..\Hewlett-Packard\BIOS\Current\

6. Plug the USB key into the failing system.

7. Hold Win+B keys, then Press POWER

Assuming the Boot Block is not corrupted, the BIOS should automatically identifiy the key and re-flash the BIOS.  

Some questions:  

1. Is your product in Warranty?

2. Do you know how the BIOS was corrupted? 

I work on behalf of HP.

Click on Kudos if you like the response.
HP Recommended

Thanks

The solution did not work

I have used SP48895; it contains the 363FF15.FD file which I renamed 363F.bin

It does not contain a .sig file. I took this one from SP52509 by renaming hpuddatbios.sig in 363Fsig

I have also used SP 52509 to create the HP_TOOLS rootname and the various Hewlett_Packard directories

ad1) just a couple of weeks out of warranty

ad2) have no clue how the BIOS was corrupted.. the only thing I am aware of is that the (large) battery will not charge anymore.

once again after reading the USB stick the system hangs.

I have no idea wether boot block would be corrupted.

Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

Hi Quark,

I'm sending you a private message, can you check it and let me know?

I am an HP employee

-Bryan
HP Recommended

Hello, I am new to Tech Spot and this forum and need some help. My HP dv9500 Laptop will not come up with bios screen and therefore will also not boot. When I turn it on the indicator lights all come on but the screen remains unlit for a few seconds then has a faint bluish haze. The disk activity light blinks a few times and the CD sounds like it is active. Nothing else happens - I can wait for as much time as I want. If I CRTL, ALT & DEL it shuts down and comes up again by itself a few seconds later, which from my DOS days appears normal, and I can repeat this process. I have a bootable CD that has a DR dos for a DOS type operating system and the computer will not boot from this CD. If I hold the power button down for ~10 sec the thing turns off. I have removed the drive and tested on another computer via USB interface including using CKHDSK in the DOS mode and then using WEB Root to scan the disks for virsues, etc. Everything checks out OK. I have removed all power DC and AC including batteries: Large DC power battery and CMOS backup battery with no Help. I have also tried all Fn buttons to see if I could force the Bios Screen to appear in the process of trying to power up described above. The memory modules are firmly seated. Has anyone heard of a similar situation?

In looking into my problem further I found the advice where I hold the Window Key and B key and power up and the computer does try but I believe since I never updated the BIOS it cannot find it on the recovery partition and now it beep followed by two short beeps and it looked up in this mode. I can shut it off. I need help in generating a USB key to use in lieu of the recovery partition.

The operating system is: Vista.

I need help in generating a USB key to use in lieu of the recovery partition. I have a USB drive on a second computer and installed the HP BIOS update (uefi) utility there and in the process it renamed the USB: HP_tools and installed the following folders: 1.) H – P with subfolders: a.)Bios –with subfolders: current, new and previous folders and b.)BIOSUpdate and 2.) SWSetup with sp52264 subfolder.

I have instructions andin step 2 it says Click on run and then Cancel at the Update … but what do I RUN? This is all on another computer where I am trying to prepare the Flash drive. Do I now need to download something else at this point? because the instructions I am folowing talk about file that are not on the flash USB drive.

At this point I have no clue what else to do.

HP Recommended

@helmuthiam wrote:

Hello, I am new to Tech Spot and this forum and need some help. My HP dv9500 Laptop will not come up with bios screen and therefore will also not boot. When I turn it on the indicator lights all come on but the screen remains unlit for a few seconds then has a faint bluish haze. The disk activity light blinks a few times and the CD sounds like it is active. Nothing else happens - I can wait for as much time as I want. If I CRTL, ALT & DEL it shuts down and comes up again by itself a few seconds later, which from my DOS days appears normal, and I can repeat this process. I have a bootable CD that has a DR dos for a DOS type operating system and the computer will not boot from this CD. If I hold the power button down for ~10 sec the thing turns off. I have removed the drive and tested on another computer via USB interface including using CKHDSK in the DOS mode and then using WEB Root to scan the disks for virsues, etc. Everything checks out OK. I have removed all power DC and AC including batteries: Large DC power battery and CMOS backup battery with no Help. I have also tried all Fn buttons to see if I could force the Bios Screen to appear in the process of trying to power up described above. The memory modules are firmly seated. Has anyone heard of a similar situation?

In looking into my problem further I found the advice where I hold the Window Key and B key and power up and the computer does try but I believe since I never updated the BIOS it cannot find it on the recovery partition and now it beep followed by two short beeps and it looked up in this mode. I can shut it off. I need help in generating a USB key to use in lieu of the recovery partition.

The operating system is: Vista.

This is a common problem on that model, you might consider sending it in for repairs

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260674058980

Symptoms may include the following:

• Weird colored screen (grey, green, red etc..
    • Scrambled or pixelated screen
    • Divided split screen (2 screens up to 12 split screens)
    • Screen black however backlit
    • Screen black with no backlight however blue lights come on the quickplay panel
    • Turns on then shuts off immediatly
    • Turns on and beeps 3 times (1 long and 2 short)
    • Turns on, black screen and keeps restarting by itself
    • White or grey screen sometimes with horizontal lines
    • Press power button and nothing happens what so ever (seems dead) (mostly on DV2000 models)
    • Intel models boot to backlight but no screen
    • Cant load Nvidia driver, can only run in VGA mode
    • Screen works but no WiFi (does not show up in device manager)
    • Many more

HP Recommended

I will robably do that but as one last resort I would like to explore the USB flash drive to see if it is not a corrupt BIOS.

I need help in generating a USB key to use in lieu of the recovery partition. I have a USB drive on a second computer and installed the HP BIOS update (uefi) utility there and in the process it renamed the USB: HP_tools and installed the following folders: 1.) H – P with subfolders: a.)Bios –with subfolders: current, new and previous folders and b.)BIOSUpdate and 2.) SWSetup with sp52264 subfolder.

I have instructions andin step 2 it says Click on run and then Cancel at the Update … but what do I RUN? This is all on another computer where I am trying to prepare the Flash drive. Do I now need to download something else at this point? because the instructions I am folowing talk about file that are not on the flash USB drive.

At this point I have no clue what else to do

HP Recommended

@helmuthiam wrote:

I will robably do that but as one last resort I would like to explore the USB flash drive to see if it is not a corrupt BIOS.

At this point I have no clue what else to do

Instructions are pretty clear to me, SoftPAQ=Bios update you downloaded.

1. Download the SoftPaq from the HP Web site.

NOTE: Verify that the UEFI system diagnostics is installed on your computer (or USB flash

drive).

2. Click Run, and then click Cancel at the Update/USB bootable dialog box.

3. Navigate to the folder located in c:\swsetup that corresponds to your SoftPaq number.

4. Locate the .bin file in the Rompaq folder (for example, 68CDD.bin) and then copy it to the

Hewlett-Packard\BIOS\New\ folder in either the HP_Tools partition of the hard drive, or the USB

flash drive.

5. Locate the .sig file in the ROM.cab file and rename it with the same prefix as the .bin file (for

example, 68CDD.sig). Copy the renamed file to the Hewlett-Packard\BIOS\New\ folder in either

the HP_Tools partition of the hard drive, or the USB flash drive.

6. Restart the computer, and then press esc while the “Press the ESC key for Startup Menu”

message is displayed at the bottom of the screen.

7. Press f2 to enter Computer Setup.

8. Click BIOS Management from the menu and then select Update BIOS.

What this does in unpack the bios update(SoftPAQ) you downloaded, you can also use 7-Zip to unpack the bios SoftPAQ file. Once unpacked you will have the files you need to complete the rest of the instructions.

HP Recommended

Hello,

I have a bricked dv6913rs.

Please help me make a recovery usb thunbdrive or a usb floppy disk.

The laptop will boot, but gives off beeps and displays nothing.

I've been at this for 3 days and am loosing my mind.

:indifferent:

HP Recommended

Okay.   I have a dv6-2044DX laptop.   It's got the black screen at boot with both the capslock/numlock flashing twice.   This says that it's the dreaded BIOS Corruption issue.   I'd like to bring it back to life by flashing the Insyde BIOS by using the USB key trick.

So here's what I've got.

USB stick formatted FAT and volume name is HP_TOOLS. 

Installed EFI and so I have the following folders

Hewlett-Packard

BIOS

Current

New

Previous

BIOSUpdate

SystemnDiags

I downloaded my softpaq for my non-business laptop (SP47531) and ran the program.  At C:\swsetup\sp47531, I had one file "WinFlash.exe".   I used Universal Extractor to pull out the binaries and got 3635F13.FD and a wav file, platform.ini plus two each executables, dlls and sys files, one set for x86 and one for x64 architectures. 

I opened platform.ini, found the correct name for the file under 

[Platform_Check]
flag=2
PlatformName=3635
PlatformName2=3636

So, I renamed the 3635F13.FD file to 3635.BIN.   I copied it to the following directory on the USB drive:

Hewlett-Packard/BIOS/Current

There is no ROMPAQ for this computer, as it is a non-business computer  Therefore, I have no sig file to accompany the 3635.BIN file.

The laptop has no battery.  I take out the AC, hold down the power button for 60 seconds.  I then hold down the Win+B keys and plug in the power and hit the power button.   I see activity on the USB key after a couple of seconds.  i let go and then....

It beeps twice and reboots.

What am I doing wrong?   Is it the wrong BIOS file?   Does it have to match the current corrupted one?   Please help.  Thanks,

OneRing2Rule

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.