Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Stream 11
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

In the last couple of weeks I have noticed my HP stream 11 notebook won't charge when plugged in to the mains - It always says 'plugged in not charging'.

From other threads I've read it seems this might be something to do with installation of Windows 10 (which failed, incidentally, as there apparently wasn't enough space, though the laptop is nearly new!).

There was also a problem with shutting down, which I seem to have rectified earlier today; the power light stayed on even when I had been through the full shutdown procedure. I have restored factory settings and this seems to have resolved that problem but still the laptop won't charge, and even now I'm not convinced it's not losing battery power when it's switched off.

I've done a battery check through HP Support Assistant and that says the battery is 'OK' - it also charges for a few seconds when the check is running...which makes things more frustrating. I'm getting worried now because the battery is now down to 21%

I'm not hugely technically-minded, so what should I do? The laptop is still under standard warranty for anothe few weeks.

(As things stand I feel very disinclined to bother with any HP or Microsoft products in the future, though I used to think HP were great).

I'd be really grateful for any help at all.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @beanbarrel87,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums, I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I came across your post about the battery issue, and wanted to help!

To start, can you provide me with the Product Number of the notebook?  Here is a link you can use that will help you find your Model and Product Number:
How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

In the meantime, try reviewing the following document, and let me know how it goes:

HP Notebook PCs - Battery Does Not Power Notebook or Hold a Charge

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as  "Accept as Solution, this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello @beanbarrel87,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums, I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I came across your post about the battery issue, and wanted to help!

To start, can you provide me with the Product Number of the notebook?  Here is a link you can use that will help you find your Model and Product Number:
How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

In the meantime, try reviewing the following document, and let me know how it goes:

HP Notebook PCs - Battery Does Not Power Notebook or Hold a Charge

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as  "Accept as Solution, this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thank you for your help - from this information I managed to diagnose the problem (with the battery) from UEFI menu and the laptop is going off for a replacement next week.

As a result of your post the whole thing seems to have been resolved with HP support much quicker than I was anticipating so I'm very grateful.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.