Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Laptop Model: 15-g070nr
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I feel that this issue is being experienced by alot of users and is not being addressed properly by the HP Support Forum Advisors.  They are not requesting diagnositcs data.  None offer a DEFINITIVE solution.  Users are buying chargers unnecessarily.

I found a solution and thought I'd share it with others in an attempt to help them. This is NOT a work-around to disable the  HP Smart Adapter pop-up. This solution corrects the problem of a battery that does not charge while the PC is being used. The Smart Adapterpop-up still occcurs (at least for me). ** Please read the entire post. **

I was getting an HP Smart Adapter pop-up warning:
"Your computer is designed to vary performance as needed when a smaller capacity Smart AC Adapter is connected.
However your computer exceeds the power rating for the Smart AC Adapter connnected.   Please connnect a higher capacity Smart AC Adapter".

I would click "OK" to extinguished the pop-up. The battery would not charge while the PC was plugged in and being used.

Laptop information:
HP 15 Notebook
Model: 15-g070nr
Product: J1J41UA#ABA

AC Adapter information:
hp part no. 740015-002
19.5v dc 2.31a 45w

*** Issue ****
The battery didn't charge when the laptop was plugged in and running Windows. The LED next to the AC Adapter connector remained white. There was "no electrical plug" icon next to the battery. The battery wasn't charging.

However, when I 'shutdown' the laptop and after if was fully powered off, the LED next to the AC Adapter connector turns orange (charging).  After an hour or so (depending on discharge level), the LED changed to white. THE BATTERY WAS FULLY CHARGED. This kind of indicated that the problem was either with Microsoft Windows power management software or some HP "add-on" software package that controlled power management.

I ran HP UEFI diagnostics -> Component Test -> AC Adapter Test
It failed with this error code: GU0G5L-77J701-XD7V7G-C1F203
I have requested information about this error code in an HP Support Forum post but have not heard back yet.

*** How I fixed it ***
You will need to run HP Support Assistant. HP Support Assistant is factory installed but you can get a fresh copy here...
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html

I ran HP Support Assistant which connects to HP's servers and allows them to diagnose issues on the PC and check that all  recommended HP software patches are applied.

My computer needed two items:
1. HP Notebook System BIOS Update. Softpaq number: SP73940
2. Software Update. Softpaq number: SP69624

I applied both fixes.
The BIOS update by itself did not fix the AC Adapter no-charge issue.
The Software Update SP69624 FIXED THE NO CHARGE CONDITION.  I now have an "electrical plug" icon next to the battery icon in the system tray and the battery charges while I'm using the laptop.

I stil get error code: GU0G5L-77J701-XD7V7G-C1F203 when running HP UEFI diagnostics.
That is probably the reason I'm still getting the HP Smart Adapter pop-up.   I just click "OK" to close the pop-up.
I have posted this error code and I'm still waiting on a reply from the forum advisors to see what that error is.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@jimmy_l

I would like to take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. I came across your post and thank you for sharing the information on the HP Forums. It will certainly help others to find a solution.I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I did try to decode the failure ID: GU0G5L-77J701-XD7V7G-C1F203 using an internal HP tool and it gives results that one of these items could be bad: AC Adaptor, Battery, Cache Battery Pack, Charger, Power Cord, Power Supply. I suspect it is the AC adapter because I believe the battery can hold a charge without the AC adapter plugged in.

Let me know if you have any more questions. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

but i see that that software was is audio drivernot power adapter driver

i also cant charge battery when mine laptop is on and even before going to bios

if i shut mine laptop completely it charges battery

also when in win 8.1 mine computer hibernate it chrages battery as light turns from white to orange

battery wear level is zero

TITLE: Realtek High-Definition (HD) Audio Driver

DESCRIPTION:
This package provides the driver for the Realtek High-Definition (HD) Audio in
supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system.

PURPOSE: Recommended
SOFTPAQ FILE NAME: SP69624.exe
SOFTPAQ MD5: 481a6131d8d089fecc84b83b8dc4a619
SUPERSEDES: sp69510
EFFECTIVE DATE: November 21, 2014
CATEGORY: Driver-Audio
SSM SUPPORTED: Yes

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for your detailed diagnostic here! Are you sure the BIOS update was not your fix? How did you determine that the other update was the fix? As the last person said, that SoftPaq, SP69624 is this audio driver which seems completely unrelated:

TITLE: Realtek High-Definition (HD) Audio Driver

VERSION: 1.20 REV: A PASS: 3
DESCRIPTION:
This package provides the driver for the Realtek High-Definition (HD) Audio in
supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system.

PURPOSE: Recommended
SOFTPAQ FILE NAME: SP69624.exe
SOFTPAQ MD5: 481a6131d8d089fecc84b83b8dc4a619
SUPERSEDES: sp69510
EFFECTIVE DATE: November 21, 2014
CATEGORY: Driver-Audio
SSM SUPPORTED: Yes

PRODUCT TYPE(S):
Notebooks

HARDWARE PRODUCT MODEL(S):
Compaq 14 Notebook PC
Compaq 14 TouchSmart Notebook PC
HP Notebook 14
HP Notebook 14 TouchSmart
HP Notebook 15
HP Notebook 15 TouchSmart
Compaq 15 Notebook PC
Compaq 15 TouchSmart Notebook PC
HP 255 G3 Notebook PC
HP 245 G3 Notebook PC

OPERATING SYSTEM(S):
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64 Edition
Microsoft Windows 8.1 64 Bit
Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit Chinese Market
Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit Emerging Markets
Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit Enterprise
Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit Multi-Language
Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit Professional

LANGUAGE(S): Global

DEVICES SUPPORTED:
Realtek High Definition Audio

ENHANCEMENTS:
- Provides the updated driver.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.