Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming 15-ak002na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,
I'd like  to install either an SSD or an mSata/m2 into my PCie slot (if I have one).The SSD would replace my HDD, which might go into a caddy to replace my CD-drive.

So I want to confirm from the experts that does my computer have a free PCie slot that supports the mSata and/or m.2 SSD ? And if it does, is that slot SATA II or III ? Is there any chance that installing these won't void my warranty ?

And finally, how does the 3 options compare to eachother ?

SSD route :

-Pros :

+Availability (I have got a 240GB 2.5" SSD already)(Not that big of a pro)

-Cons:

+More work

+Definitely void my warranty (I got the laptop last month)

+Sacrificing 1TB data space down to 240GB.

mSATA/m.2 route :

-Pros:

+Less work

+Not sacrificing data space

-Cons:

+Might not be as stable/fast/...

I honestly do not know much about these kind of things, I just read some article that gave me the idea as something to do as spring starts. Please do correct me if I got anything wrong. 

Thanks,

Minh

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

From its Maintenance and Service Guide, it has M.2 SATA slot with the following available configuration:

• Supports 6.35-cm (2.5-in) SATA hard drives in 9.5 mm (.37 in) and 7.0 mm (.28 in) thicknesses
    7 mm/9.5 mm share the same bracket
    Accelerometer / HDD protection supportSingle HDD configurations:
    2-TB, 5400-rpm, 9.5-mm
    1-TB, 5400-rpm, 9.5-mm
    500-GB, 5400-rpm, 9.5-mm or 7.0-mmHybrid HDD configurations:
    1-TB, 5400-rpm, 9.5-mm SSHD w/8GB NAND
    500-GB, 5400-rpm, 7.0-mm SSHD w/8GB NANDM.2 SATA-3 (NGFF):
    SSD, 256GB, 2280, M.2, SATA-3, TLC
    SSD, 128GB, 2280, M.2, SATA-3, TLC
    SSD, 128GB, 2280, M.2, SATA-3, Value DRAM-lessOptical

Source:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-Gaming-15-Notebook/8610971/model/9044510/manuals

They are all SATA III (or 3).

Definitely you can't do yourseld bacuse this is the work for Authorized Service Provider parts

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi,

From its Maintenance and Service Guide, it has M.2 SATA slot with the following available configuration:

• Supports 6.35-cm (2.5-in) SATA hard drives in 9.5 mm (.37 in) and 7.0 mm (.28 in) thicknesses
    7 mm/9.5 mm share the same bracket
    Accelerometer / HDD protection supportSingle HDD configurations:
    2-TB, 5400-rpm, 9.5-mm
    1-TB, 5400-rpm, 9.5-mm
    500-GB, 5400-rpm, 9.5-mm or 7.0-mmHybrid HDD configurations:
    1-TB, 5400-rpm, 9.5-mm SSHD w/8GB NAND
    500-GB, 5400-rpm, 7.0-mm SSHD w/8GB NANDM.2 SATA-3 (NGFF):
    SSD, 256GB, 2280, M.2, SATA-3, TLC
    SSD, 128GB, 2280, M.2, SATA-3, TLC
    SSD, 128GB, 2280, M.2, SATA-3, Value DRAM-lessOptical

Source:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-Gaming-15-Notebook/8610971/model/9044510/manuals

They are all SATA III (or 3).

Definitely you can't do yourseld bacuse this is the work for Authorized Service Provider parts

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.